Bug 8637 - XDocument doesn't honor XDeclaration.Encoding
Summary: XDocument doesn't honor XDeclaration.Encoding
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Class Libraries
Classification: Mono
Component: System.XML (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: --- normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Atsushi Eno
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-11-28 11:29 UTC by Jérémie Laval
Modified: 2013-08-09 02:58 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on GitHub or Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description Jérémie Laval 2012-11-28 11:29:25 UTC
csharp> new XDocument (new XDeclaration ("1.0", "utf-8", "yes")).ToString ();
"<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-16\" standalone=\"yes\"?>"

In that case I should have had a "utf-8" encoding instead of "utf-16". Code never access the .Encoding property of an existing xmlDecl.
Comment 1 Atsushi Eno 2012-11-29 01:06:23 UTC
Hmm, first we need to examine if this writes encoding="utf-8" on .NET.

csharp> using System.Xml;
csharp> var w = new XmlWriterSettings () { Encoding = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8 }; 
csharp> using System.IO;    
csharp> var xw = XmlWriter.Create (new StringWriter (), w);
csharp> xw.WriteStartDocument ();
csharp> xw.WriteStartElement ("root");
csharp> xw.Close ();
csharp> var sw = new StringWriter ();
csharp> var xw = XmlWriter.Create (sw, w);                  
csharp> xw.WriteStartDocument ();          
csharp> xw.WriteStartElement ("root");                      
csharp> xw.Close ();
csharp> sw
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><root />
csharp>
Comment 2 Atsushi Eno 2012-11-29 04:03:25 UTC
The assumption that utf-8 should be output, is wrong. .NET also outputs utf-16. Though there is another ToString() behavior difference - .NET never outputs XML declaration at all. We rather need to fix it by doing so.

Repro:

using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Text;
using System.Xml;
using System.Xml.Linq;

public class Test
{
	public static void Main ()
	{
		var w = new XmlWriterSettings () { Encoding = Encoding.UTF8 };
		var sw = new StringWriter ();
		var xw = XmlWriter.Create (sw, w);
		xw.WriteStartDocument ();
		xw.WriteStartElement ("root");
		xw.Close ();
		Console.WriteLine (sw);

		Console.WriteLine ("-----------");

		var x = new XDocument (new XDeclaration ("1.0", "utf-8", "no"));
		x.Add (new XElement ("root"));
		Console.WriteLine (x.ToString ());
		Console.WriteLine ("-----------");
		var sw2 = new StringWriter ();
		x.Save (sw2);
		Console.WriteLine (sw2);
	}
}

- .NET output -

$ ./test.exe
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><root />
-----------
<root />
-----------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" standalone="no"?>
<root />

- Mono output -

$ mono ./test.exe

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><root />
-----------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" standalone="no"?>
<root />
-----------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" standalone="no"?>
<root />
Comment 3 Jérémie Laval 2012-11-29 05:54:06 UTC
I confirm that on .NET:

-> new XDocument (new XDeclaration ("1.0", "utf-8", "yes")).ToString () returns string.Empty;

-> 		var xdoc = new XDocument (new XDeclaration ("1.0", "utf-8", "true"));
		xdoc.Add (new XElement ("root", new XAttribute ("hey", "heeeeeyaaaaaaa")));
		var writer = new StringWriter ();
		xdoc.Save (writer);
		Console.WriteLine (writer.ToString ());
Has a utf-16 encoding XML declaration.

So it seems like .NET is broken too. Not output'ing the declaration with ToString works for me.
Comment 4 Mateusz Mor 2013-07-11 06:13:27 UTC
I made a simple fix to this problem. You can find it over here:

https://github.com/foka/mono/commit/6d57d3d01ed2321bd115ca9185962a3483b6d3d4
Comment 5 Atsushi Eno 2013-08-09 02:58:32 UTC
oops, sorry I thought I fixed this bug. Now the fix is in git master [ccab578]