Created attachment 20672 [details]
Description: Application crashes onto the Simulator and Physical device when running on Debug mode
Steps to reproduce:
- Create an Android Application
- Build the created application
- Run the created application onto an Android physical device or Simulator
Expected Result - Application should be created and run successfully
Actual Result - Application crashes on the Simulator and Physical device
Visual Studio for Mac Preview
Version Preview 5 (7.0 build 1770)
Installation UUID: 0dddd93d-6d83-4539-a8cd-2edf7e9e8564
Mono 184.108.40.206 (2017-02/9ecfd9f) (64-bit)
GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)
Package version: 409030043
Location: /Applications/Xamarin Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/Xamarin Profiler
Apple Developer Tools
Xcode 8.2.1 (11766.1)
Version: 10.9.0.73 (Visual Studio Enterprise)
Build date: 2017-03-21 12:28:31-0400
Version: 220.127.116.11 (Visual Studio Enterprise)
Android SDK: /Users/globallogic/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
Supported Android versions:
4.4 (API level 19)
6.0 (API level 23)
7.0 (API level 24)
7.1 (API level 25)
SDK Tools Version: 25.2.5
SDK Platform Tools Version: 25.0.3
SDK Build Tools Version: 25.0.1
Java SDK: /usr
java version "1.8.0_101"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)
Android Designer EPL code available here:
Version: 18.104.22.168 (Visual Studio Enterprise)
Build date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 22:41:39 GMT
Release ID: 700001770
Git revision: 50bb644bd06636db7479fd53343d4afc6a8c619e
Build date: 2017-03-17 13:07:11-04
Xamarin addins: 01c055caee599112329c7803dd881d041f33d43a
Build lane: monodevelop-lion-android-deploy
Mac OS X 10.12.0
Darwin NAG1-LMAC-N07154 16.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.0.0
Mon Aug 29 17:56:20 PDT 2016
Reproducibility Ratio : 8/10
Created attachment 20675 [details]
Created attachment 20676 [details]
Created attachment 20681 [details]
Screencast Link - https://www.screencast.com/t/lFDTF0B8sjQ
Can you add the logs from the Device Log too (in XS you can select View | Pads | Device Log) and then select the device. Wait until the log loads fully (on a real device you will continue to get a lot of events, so maybe do this with an emulator). Then, add a "marker" to the log, deploy, add another marker, then interact with the app to make it crash. Then select all the events and paste into a file and attach.
You can also do something similar with `adb logcat` and redirect the output from that to a file.
Given that the application was deployed, it's likely that this isn't related to XS - also, since all the deployment is done by Xamarin Android now XS has no control of what is or isn't deployed to the device.
As suggested, I have attached the device logs. I have applied marker before deployment(marker 1) & after deployment(marker 2).
Device details: Nexus 6P OS 6.0.
Created attachment 20718 [details]
Android device logs
Attaching the device logs.
can we just use a plain text file instead of a .docx file?
@dean, can you take a look please.
I am able to repro and @dean asked for the diagnostic output od `msbuild /t:Install` which is here:
adb log output
I've tried reproducing this morning and I'm unable to. Everything seems to be working here. :/
I think the difference was my Mono. When I was using the same versions of VSMac and Monodroid everything was fine, but I was still using Mono 4.8.0. When I switched to Mono 22.214.171.124 then the app crashed.
I am seeing this 100% currently.
Should be fixed in monodroid/master/310823bc
Now i can see a different pop up coming up and it stops the application to be deployed over the Physical device and Emulator
PFA - Attached Screencast Link - https://www.screencast.com/t/8KEVl526lt5
Created attachment 20787 [details]
Created attachment 20788 [details]
a bit more investigation and it looks like msbuild is ignoring the DebugType property in projects. It always defaults to "portable" which breaks x-a because we only use the debug runtime when DebugType is "Full".
Created attachment 20793 [details]
Attached packaging and package console logs
I think this is related to Bug 53900
Fixed on monodroid/master/c53f856c
Checked with the latest XA and Mono version.
Working Fine, hence closing the Bug.
PFA - Attached Logs
Created attachment 20937 [details]
Created attachment 20938 [details]