Bug 44317 - A problem was encountered creating the sub project 'myprojectname.Droid'. Attempted to access a missing method.
Summary: A problem was encountered creating the sub project 'myprojectname.Droid'. Att...
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: General (show other bugs)
Version: 4.2.0 (C8)
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- blocker
Target Milestone: 4.3.0 (C9)
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-09-14 19:10 UTC by Clint
Modified: 2016-10-06 22:39 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
Error screen shot (27.33 KB, image/png)
2016-09-14 19:13 UTC, Clint
Details
After fully update of everything - new error (42.38 KB, image/png)
2016-09-14 21:12 UTC, Clint
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Description Clint 2016-09-14 19:10:43 UTC
# Steps to reproduce
In Visual Studio 2015 make a new Xamarin.Forms PCL project

# Expected behavior
Projects within the solution for all platforms

# Actual behavior
Empty folder for the droid project - no droid project in the solution.

# Supplemental info (logs, images, videos)
Error message displayed: A problem was encountered creating the sub project 'myprojectname.Droid'. Attempted to access a missing method.

# Test environment (full version information)
Win10x64 professional.  24gig Ram. Quad Core.  SSD with plenty of space. VS2015pro.  Everything fully up to date.
Comment 1 Clint 2016-09-14 19:13:19 UTC
Created attachment 17486 [details]
Error screen shot
Comment 2 Clint 2016-09-14 21:12:44 UTC
Created attachment 17488 [details]
After fully update of everything - new error

I ran the Android SDK manager for updates, including all of Android 7 everything, all the updates it recommended etc.

I then downloaded the latest VS2015update3enterprise .iso from MSDN and ran that, making sure I updated the various updated/deprecated packages etc.

After all those updates trying to make a new XAML App (Portable) it still fails but with a new message: "A prolem was encountered creating the sub project 'app3.droid'. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference."
Comment 3 Ben Beckley 2016-09-19 21:26:37 UTC
Hello Clint,

This sounds like it may potentially be an MEF ComponentCache issue. Could you try deleting the contents of the ComponentModelCache folder located at %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0 please?
Comment 4 Clint 2016-09-20 12:02:18 UTC
Eventually, after running every possible update, and installing the ClearMEFcasche vsix extention I was able to get things working again.

So I concur this was probably MEF.

The "preparing to upgrade" article by James Montemagno should have been the first list supplied by Xamarin to users to ease the pain of upgrading.

Additionally, all the requirements laid out in that article should have been part of the installer criteria such that the upgrade wouldn't run until all the requirements were met.

http://motzcod.es/

This issue can be marked resolved.
Comment 5 Daniel Cazzulino 2016-09-30 13:48:42 UTC
Hi there!
 
I've put together a build on top of current stable (4.2.0.695) that contains a proper fix for this issue: http://xvs.xamarin.com/patcheddrops/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.2.0.698.msi

It will also be included in all future releases.

Please do reopen if you see this happen again in the future.

Thanks for reporting the issue!
Comment 6 Naqeeb 2016-10-03 11:27:14 UTC
I have checked this issue with latest master build and observed that it is working fine. Here is the screencast for the same: http://www.screencast.com/t/4hIosJsdIv

Environment info: https://gist.github.com/NaqeebAnsari/9d5ca86f3e54b730f4bb2d132320db46

Hence closing this issue.
Comment 7 xamarin-release-manager 2016-10-06 22:39:40 UTC
Fixed in version 4.2.0.743 (cycle8)

Author: Daniel Cazzulino
Commit: b261ab900a80f07dbf75c3b15125f5423f2e199b (xamarin/XamarinVS)