Bug 44268 - [Cycle 8] "Unexpected libzip error: Inval" when building project that references Android Support Libraries on Windows if user name contains any accented characters
Summary: [Cycle 8] "Unexpected libzip error: Inval" when building project that referen...
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Android
Classification: Xamarin
Component: MSBuild (show other bugs)
Version: 7.0 (C8)
Hardware: PC Windows
: Highest critical
Target Milestone: 7.0.x (C8SR0)
Assignee: Marek Habersack
URL:
: 44038 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-09-13 21:57 UTC by Brendan Zagaeski (Xamarin Team, assistant)
Modified: 2016-10-20 02:33 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Tags: XATriaged BZRC8S1_C7SR1S1
Is this bug a regression?: Yes
Last known good build: Cycle 7 SR 1


Attachments
Diagnostic MSBuild output (211.75 KB, text/plain)
2016-09-13 21:57 UTC, Brendan Zagaeski (Xamarin Team, assistant)
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Description Brendan Zagaeski (Xamarin Team, assistant) 2016-09-13 21:57:07 UTC
Created attachment 17447 [details]
Diagnostic MSBuild output

[Cycle 8] "Unexpected libzip error: Inval" when building project that references Android Support Libraries if user name contains any accented characters




## Regression status: Regression in Cycle 8 Stable compared to Cycle 7 SR 1

> BAD:  Xamarin 4.2.0.680 (c4382f5) (with Xamarin.Android 7.0.0.18 (0e59c36))
> GOOD: Xamarin 4.1.2.18  (fcbe082) (with Xamarin.Android 6.1.2.21 (1cf254d))




## Steps followed to replicate

1. Create a Windows username that includes a non-ASCII character.  (I used a single letter username "é" for my tests.)

2. Create a new "Visual C# > Android > Blank App (Android)" project.  (I created the project under the path `C:\source` for my tests.)

3. Add the "Xamarin.Android.Support.v4" (version 23.4.0.1) NuGet package.

4. Attempt to build the project.




## BAD Results on Cycle 8

The key error is:

> error XA5209: Reason: Unexpected libzip error: Inval



## GOOD Results on Cycle 7 SR 1

The build completes successfully (and so does packaging and signing into a .apk).




## Additional version info (brief)

Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 Enterprise
Windows 10 (64-bit)
Comment 2 Brendan Zagaeski (Xamarin Team, assistant) 2016-09-13 22:01:04 UTC
*** Bug 44038 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Marek Habersack 2016-09-16 12:16:48 UTC
Fix committed to LibZipSharp/master in commit eeba812d287c74e6d28cf5461f6fd62cff2f6963 (https://github.com/grendello/LibZipSharp/commit/eeba812d287c74e6d28cf5461f6fd62cff2f6963) but not yet included in xamarin-android or monodroid.
Comment 4 Marek Habersack 2016-09-16 12:51:18 UTC
Merged into monodroid/master, commit 780d661a4b93c1c080f06c9416c59f3a6e8adfd2
Comment 5 Marek Habersack 2016-09-16 18:02:32 UTC
Merged into xamarin-android/master, commit 3e41c40046e0c49e0291eaf08f16a9551a2d5305
Comment 6 Brendan Zagaeski (Xamarin Team, assistant) 2016-09-26 23:08:42 UTC
## Bookkeeping

It looks like this commit ended up being included in C8SR0 due to the update for LibZipSharp that was included for Bug 44184.  So this can optionally be verified against C8SR0 rather than C8SR1.  Thanks!
Comment 7 Saurabh 2016-10-05 08:59:51 UTC
I can also reproduce this Issue with Cycle8  build (XVS 4.2.0.680). This is the build output for the same: https://gist.github.com/saurabh360/ba0ba6b61d5add43ac20908c57ecb020

I have also checked it with latest C8SR0 build and it is working fine. This is the build output: https://gist.github.com/saurabh360/94585820835e95793f246c8a8288d145

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
Version 12.0.21005.1 REL
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.6.01532

Xamarin   4.2.0.703 (3b7df6f)
Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.Android   7.0.1.3 (96c7ba6)
Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.Android.

Xamarin.iOS   10.0.1.10 (ad1cd42)
Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.
Comment 8 Brendan Zagaeski (Xamarin Team, assistant) 2016-10-20 02:33:25 UTC
## Bookkeeping

Adjusting target milestone to Cycle 8 SR 0 for precise bookkeeping based on the verification from Comment 7.

Thanks!