Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
# Steps to reproduce
Launch Visual Studio that has an Android Project.
Android packages fail load.
I tried repairing, changing install, and uninstalling/restart/re-installing/restarting and it still errors.
# Expected behavior
Android should install.
# Actual behavior
Error message "the XamarinAndroidPackage package did not load correctly.
# Supplemental info (logs, images, videos)
<description>LegacySitePackage failed for package [XamarinAndroidPackage]Source: 'Xamarin.AndroidTools' Description: Method not found: 'Void Mono.AndroidTools.AnalyticsService.ReportContextProperty(System.String, System.String)'.
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Mono.AndroidTools.AnalyticsService.ReportContextProperty(System.String, System.String)'.
at Xamarin.AndroidTools.MonoDroidSdk.Refresh(String runtimePath, String binPath, String bclPath)
at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdk.<>c.<GetInstalledPlatformVersions>b__66_1(AndroidVersion version)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`1.<CombinePredicates>b__0(TSource x)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.Services.AndroidToolsSdk.CheckInstalledPlatformVersions() in C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\3513\c54ec37a\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio.Android\Services\AndroidToolsSdk.cs:line 374
at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.Services.AndroidToolsSdk.CheckAndroidSdkSettings() in C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\3513\c54ec37a\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio.Android\Services\AndroidToolsSdk.cs:line 367
at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.Services.AndroidToolsSdk.Start() in C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\3513\c54ec37a\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio.Android\Services\AndroidToolsSdk.cs:line 311
at Xamarin.VisualStudio.Android.XamarinAndroidPackage.Initialize() in C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\3513\c54ec37a\source\xamarinvs\src\Core\VisualStudio.Android\XamarinAndroidPackage.cs:line 134
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsPackage.SetSite(IServiceProvider sp)</description>
# Test environment (full version information)
Visual Studio Enterprise 14.0.25425.01 Update 3
Xamarin.VisualStudio_188.8.131.525.msi (beta channel and standalone)
I suspect this might be caused by one of the common issues Visual Studio can run into with updating extensions.
In particular, I suspect clearing the ComponentModelCache folder might help. See step 3 on the following guide:
And in case step 3 doesn't solve the issue, please try running through the other steps on that guide briefly too just to be thorough, and report back the results. Thanks in advance!
That solved the issue! Thanks. I also downloaded this extension, that was mentioned, to resolve it in the future: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/22b94661-70c7-4a93-9ca3-8b6dd45f47cd.
It was an error with the Visual Studio MEF cache getting corrupted after switching to the Beta channel. Clearing cache solved issue.
Excellent. Glad that worked, and thanks for the verification!
I've put together a build on top of current stable (184.108.40.2065) that should fix this issue: http://xvs.xamarin.com/patcheddrops/Xamarin.VisualStudio_220.127.116.118.msi
It will also be included in all future releases.
Please do reopen if you see this happen again in the future.
Thanks for reporting the issue!
I installed the patch after I was getting this error and it did not stop it from happening. I deleted the component cache and then the solutions loads droids projects OK. Then I close and reopen VS and it won't load Android anymore with the same error as in the description in the ActivityLog
@John the convention is that this bug would only be reopened by the _original reporter_ at this stage in the bug history because Comment 3 verified that the proposed fix worked for the original reporter.
It sounds like you might instead be hitting the secondary piece of Bug 44300 which involves the Test Recorder preview features.
In fact, since the error message in Comment 0 matches Bug 44300, I'll also mark this as a duplicate of that bug for bookkeeping. Thanks!
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 44300 ***
For the record, I still get this error all the time. I just constantly clear the component cache to fix it.
I pretty much use this extension a few times a week to get around this issue: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/22b94661-70c7-4a93-9ca3-8b6dd45f47cd.
Ah perfect. It sounds like it's definitely appropriate that this be marked as a duplicate of Bug 44300 then. That bug describes how the problem kept coming back for the users on that bug until they installed the new build from Comment 5 and uninstalled Test Recorder (if installed).
In any case, thanks for the additional verification on the duplication status!