Created attachment 14732 [details]
code to reproduce the bug
Use the code in the attached file. (As written, it's a test for NUnit, but I saw the same behavior in PCL code under Android.)
1. Set a breakpoint at the commented line.
2. Run the test in debug mode. You will hit the breakpoint.
3. Unset the breakpoint.
4. Open the "locals" panel so you can see the local variables.
5. Repeatedly hit "step out".
6. EXPECTED BEHAVIOR: Each time you step out, the value of n should increase by 1. ACTUAL BEHAVIOR: n increases to 3, then drops to 1 on the next step out. What has happened is that instead of stepping out of the current call, the debugger continued until it stepped out of a nested call to the same method.
I'm moving this to runtime because fix will be there... I can reproduce this also on console application: https://gist.github.com/DavidKarlas/2ab7635d68d3d6f431a4
I have a slightly simpler console repro
Break on line 12
On break, type "Step out" once
On the second visit to line 12 it will execute line 12, *then* break on completion.
I believe I have a fix for this but it cannot work unless https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=32350 is also fixed. I am talking to David K about getting a fix for 32350
A fix for this was checked in to master around 2016-06-04. It is in 4.6.0.
I have checked this issue with latest C8SR1 build and observed that it is working fine. Here is the screencast for the same: http://www.screencast.com/t/rF1UFxsnBAsL
Environment info: https://gist.github.com/NaqeebAnsari/b05cff1a8be94ee81ec9e90e0fd32c6e
Hence closing this issue.