Bug 38017 - Special Characters in Username break Build
Summary: Special Characters in Username break Build
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 14918
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Android (show other bugs)
Version: 4.0.0 (C6)
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-01-26 00:04 UTC by Andre Davis
Modified: 2016-02-10 23:54 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
Special Character breaks Build Path (37.91 KB, image/png)
2016-01-26 00:04 UTC, Andre Davis
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 14918

Description Andre Davis 2016-01-26 00:04:07 UTC
Created attachment 14722 [details]
Special Character breaks Build Path

Issue:
==========
I started a simple project to try Xamarin in Visual Studio at work. I have my code checked into GitHub. When I got home and pulled my code down it fails to build even though it works on my work computer. I noticed that it can't find the bin/Debug folder because it is misrepresenting my special character in my username.

User Names:
===========
Work: Andre Davis
Home: André Davis <----- this one break.

Environment:
=============
OS: Windows 10
IDE: Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition
Xamarin: 4.0.0.1717


Error message (also see attachment):
====================================
Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
Error		Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com. Reason: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Directory 'C:\Users\André\Documents\GitHub\Xarmin\QuickStart\Phoneword\Phoneword\bin\Debug' not found.	Phoneword
Comment 1 Brendan Zagaeski (Xamarin Team, assistant) 2016-02-10 23:54:00 UTC
Thanks for the report. There is some work underway that will hopefully address this bug in an upcoming release. I will mark this as a duplicate of the "main" report to consolidate further discussion and updates onto that bug.


One way to work around the problem temporarily would be to move the solution folder to a directory that does not contain any accented characters, for example:

C:\source\GitHub\Xarmin\QuickStart\Phoneword\Phoneword\bin\Debug

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 14918 ***