Bug 31705 - Embedded resources are not being fast deployed from the IDE in XA 5.1.4+
Summary: Embedded resources are not being fast deployed from the IDE in XA 5.1.4+
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Android (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows
: High major
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: dean.ellis
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-07-07 11:01 UTC by Bruscino Domenico Francesco
Modified: 2016-08-03 15:22 UTC (History)
8 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
Sample Project (33.90 KB, application/zip)
2015-07-08 11:05 UTC, Ram Chandra
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Description Bruscino Domenico Francesco 2015-07-07 11:01:28 UTC
Embedded resources are localized until XamarinVS 3.11.590 but after update XamarinVS 3.11.666 they are not localized.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install XamarinVS 3.11.666;

2. Create new Android App

3. Add new Resource File LResources.resx

4. Add following lines to LResources.resx:
  <data name="String1" xml:space="preserve">
    <value>a</value>
  </data>

5. Add new Resource File LResources.it-IT.resx
  <data name="String1" xml:space="preserve">
    <value>b</value>
  </data>

6. Add following lines to MainActivity.cs:
   System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("it-IT");
   System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("it-IT");
   button.Text = LResources.String1;

using XamarinVS 3.11.666 button.Text = "a"
using XamarinVS 3.11.590 button.Text = "b"
Comment 1 Ram Chandra 2015-07-08 11:05:42 UTC
Created attachment 11936 [details]
Sample Project

I have checked this issue and I am able to reproduce this issue.

This is a regression with XVS 3.11.590

Environment Info: 

XVS: 3.11.666

=== Xamarin Studio ===

Version 5.9.4 (build 5)
Installation UUID: fc6654a4-ce73-4628-9813-c7e1b1548ece
Runtime:
 Microsoft .NET 4.0.30319.0
 GTK+ 2.24.22 (MS-Windows theme)
 GTK# 2.12.26

=== Xamarin.Android ===

Version: 5.1.4 (Starter Edition)
Android SDK: E:\SDK\AndroidSDK
 Supported Android versions:
  2.3    (API level 10)
  4.0.3  (API level 15)
  4.1    (API level 16)
  4.2    (API level 17)
  4.3    (API level 18)
  4.4    (API level 19)
  4.4.87 (API level 20)
  5.0    (API level 21)
Java SDK: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_55
java version "1.7.0_55"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_55-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.55-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

=== Xamarin Android Player ===

Not Installed

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 509040005
Git revision: 8010a90f6e246b32364e3fb46ef2c9d1be9c9a2b
Build date: 2015-06-08 17:16:25-04
Xamarin addins: 7e93e9c3503f28770f23ce1b7eafd829919f18e8

=== Operating System ===

Windows 6.2.9200.0 (64-bit)
Comment 2 Jonathan Pryor 2015-07-08 12:17:15 UTC
Does this happen for you within Xamarin Studio?

Using Xamarin Studio on OS X results in the expected behavior of 'B' being displayed in the button.
Comment 7 Peter Collins 2015-08-10 16:30:43 UTC
This is a regression introduced by 5.1.4, and at first look this appears to have the same cause as #31527. This only fails when fast dev is being used and deploying from the IDE. We're no longer writing these assemblies to resolved_assemblies.txt, and therefore the IDE is not fast deploying them.
Comment 8 dean.ellis 2015-08-13 05:41:11 UTC
Fixed in monodroid/master/edf0f29c
Comment 9 Ram Chandra 2015-08-13 12:56:51 UTC
I have checked this issue with following builds:

Windows:
Windows 7
Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.6.00007
Installed Version: Professional
Xamarin   4.0.0.881 (13d3d50)
Xamarin.Android   5.1.99.486 (d77313a)
Xamarin.iOS   8.13.0.39 (66a0544)

Screencast:  http://www.screencast.com/t/DYDcFDi2S

This issue has been fixed. Hence I am closing this issue.