Bug 20543 - Cannot run ASP.NET MVC app when it is placed to folder with hash in its name
Summary: Cannot run ASP.NET MVC app when it is placed to folder with hash in its name
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: Class Libraries
Classification: Mono
Component: System.Web (show other bugs)
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-06-11 17:18 UTC by pinggi
Modified: 2014-06-14 19:33 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
error screenshot (17.30 KB, image/png)
2014-06-11 17:18 UTC, pinggi
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report for Bug 20543 on GitHub or Developer Community if you have new information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.

If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the original description:

  • Export the original title and description: GitHub Markdown or Developer Community HTML
  • Copy the title and description into the new report. Adjust them to be up-to-date if needed.
  • Add your new information.

In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments: GitHub Markdown with public comments

Related Links:
Status:
NEW

Description pinggi 2014-06-11 17:18:16 UTC
Created attachment 7048 [details]
error screenshot

I've created ASP.NET MVC 3 application in folder: C:\Data\Dev\C#
When I ran the app, I got the following error:


System.Web.Compilation.CompilationException
CS0006: Metadata file `C:\Data\Dev\C' could not be found

Description: Error compiling a resource required to service this request. Review your source file and modify it to fix this error.

Details: CS0006: Metadata file `C:\Data\Dev\C' could not be found
Error origin: Compiler
Error source file: ~/Global.asax

Exception stack trace:
 at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.BuildAssembly (System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath, System.CodeDom.Compiler.CompilerParameters options) [0x00365] in C:\cygwin\sources\mono\mcs\class\System.Web\System.Web.Compilation\AssemblyBuilder.cs:853
at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.BuildAssembly (System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath) [0x00000] in C:\cygwin\sources\mono\mcs\class\System.Web\System.Web.Compilation\AssemblyBuilder.cs:731
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GenerateAssembly (System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder abuilder, System.Web.Compilation.BuildProviderGroup group, System.Web.VirtualPath vp, Boolean debug) [0x00264] in C:\cygwin\sources\mono\mcs\class\System.Web\System.Web.Compilation\BuildManager.cs:846
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.BuildInner (System.Web.VirtualPath vp, Boolean debug) [0x0011c] in C:\cygwin\sources\mono\mcs\class\System.Web\System.Web.Compilation\BuildManager.cs:469 



You can see that the # character is missing in the path. I concluded from this that there is problem with the # character. So I moved the whole solution folder to a different folder (which does not contain the # character) and I suddenly could run the project without a problem. The default text was shown "Welcome to ASP.NET MVC on Mono!".
Comment 1 Tajinder Singh 2014-06-12 04:11:20 UTC
I can't reproduce this, we may have to see if a developer can figure out what's going on from the stack trace.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create an "ASP.Net MVC 3 Project"  application on XS.
2. Build and deploy the application.
3. Application deployed successfully.

I have created an "ASP.Net MVC 3 Project" application  inside the "C#" folder and I observed that I am able to deploy the application and I am not getting any exception. However after running application I am getting another issue Bug 19366.

Screencast: http://www.screencast.com/t/SXkVg6aFvS0Z

Environment Info

=== Xamarin Studio ===

Version 5.0.1 (build 3)
Installation UUID: 851620d2-e950-4682-b459-991ccec9d895
Runtime:
 Microsoft .NET 4.0.30319.18408
 GTK+ 2.24.22 (MS-Windows theme)
 GTK# 2.12.25

=== Xamarin.Android ===

Version: 4.15.0 (Business Edition)
Android SDK: D:\SDK\AndroidSDK
 Supported Android versions:
  2.1   (API level 7)
  2.2   (API level 8)
  2.3   (API level 10)
  3.1   (API level 12)
  3.2   (API level 13)
  4.0   (API level 14)
  4.0.3 (API level 15)
  4.1   (API level 16)
  4.2   (API level 17)
  4.3   (API level 18)
  4.4   (API level 19)
Java SDK: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_31
java version "1.6.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 500010003
Git revision: f94ee866936d25105704eb63728ad5a981eda0a4
Build date: 2014-06-04 12:22:49-04
Xamarin addins: 1a6044e8321ea07e03a56b5381951686c82fed8b

=== Operating System ===

Windows 6.1.7601.65536 (64-bit)