Bug 20541 - Performance Issue Async Read
Summary: Performance Issue Async Read
Status: IN_PROGRESS
Alias: None
Product: Class Libraries
Classification: Mono
Component: mscorlib (show other bugs)
Version: 3.2.x
Hardware: Other Linux
: --- normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-06-11 16:38 UTC by nicholas.rudh
Modified: 2014-07-07 14:59 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report for Bug 20541 on GitHub or Developer Community if you have new information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.

If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the original description:

  • Export the original title and description: GitHub Markdown or Developer Community HTML
  • Copy the title and description into the new report. Adjust them to be up-to-date if needed.
  • Add your new information.

In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments: GitHub Markdown with public comments

Related Links:
Status:
IN_PROGRESS

Description nicholas.rudh 2014-06-11 16:38:07 UTC
Hello, 
I am currently running mono 3.2.8 on a Xilinx Zynq board (ARM processor); OS is Petalinux v2013.10 (Yocto 1.4). I have also used mono version 2.11.4 on this board and had run the unit tests in $MONODIR/mono/tests to verify the port was successful. I was comparing the old benchmark times with the current ones, and I noticed “async_read.exe” was significantly worse when run on 3.2.8. 
Mono 2.11.4 ran this unit test in: 24 seconds
Mono 3.2.8 ran the unit test in: 208 seconds
I have run this specific test several times to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, I was wondering if there is an explanation for the slowness. I would be willing to look into the problem if I knew what was changed with regards to this unit test. 
Just to add some more information when I looked into what section of the code was so slow I found it to be the loop using FileStream.BeginRead and FileStream.EndRead. Lines 30 to 32 in async_read.cs
Thank you for your time
Comment 1 Marek Safar 2014-07-04 11:29:19 UTC
This is IO test. I am not sure it's very reliable to compare IO test especially when it contains Thread.Sleep
Comment 2 nicholas.rudh 2014-07-07 14:59:22 UTC
Thank you for the response, could you explain why this is insignificant. I would like to write a white paper for the issue, so that there is documentation for my organization going forward. Sorry if this is a trivial issue. 

Thanks