Bug 8048 - Visual Studio CPU/Memory Spike
Summary: Visual Studio CPU/Memory Spike
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Android ()
Version: 1.10.x
Hardware: PC Windows
: High normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
Depends on:
Reported: 2012-10-29 16:02 UTC by Pierce Boggan [MSFT]
Modified: 2015-10-19 09:48 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description Pierce Boggan [MSFT] 2012-10-29 16:02:40 UTC
"After using Mono Android in Visual Studio 2012 for a few minutes ( less than 20 minutes ), Visual Studio become unusable. The Visual Studio process takes all the CPU and a lot of memory. I've tried it on many computers and I get the same problem. When running a non-android project I don't get the problem."
Comment 2 Stephan Desmoulin 2012-11-15 09:07:51 UTC
I can confirm that I am running into the same issue. My system is currently Windows 8 x64 running Visual Studio 2012 RTM. Both products have all patches applied and I am running Mono Alpha 4.2.8.
Comment 3 Dominique Louis 2012-11-15 09:52:31 UTC
Hi Pierce and Stephan,
  Could you please try the following.... Reduce the number of axml files in your MfA projects to around 5 or less. Do you still get the CPU/Memory Spike?

We are just trying to narrow down the cause and suspect it may be related to the number of axml files it is trying to rebuild.

If you have any other observations/patterns you've noticed, please let us know.
Comment 4 Stephan Desmoulin 2012-11-15 09:56:40 UTC
I will see if I can try that. The project I'm running is pretty dependent on the axml files and currently has 14 of them.

I do know that until Alpha 4.2.8, I did not experience this problem. One other observation, which leads me to believe your statement may be on the right track, is that I have found it difficult to see the CPU spike in VS in a Monodroid project if I do not open axml files in the visual designer. However, since I have been recently opening them a lot, I really hadn't thought about that in my confirmation of the bug.

I will try excluding some of the axml files from the project and see if that eliminates the issue and get back to you. It may be a couple of days, as we're currently pretty deep in this project and have a week-end deadline to meet.
Comment 5 Dominique Louis 2012-11-15 10:00:09 UTC
No Problem Stephan, just when you can.
Comment 6 Stephan Desmoulin 2012-12-20 14:42:32 UTC

I confess I did not have a good opportunity to re-test since my previous comment, but I have since upgraded to Alpha 4.4.41 and, so far, I have not encountered this problem again.

If you need anything else from me to assist with this further, I would be happy to help. My schedule has become slightly less hectic.


Comment 7 Rajneesh Kumar 2015-07-21 09:58:45 UTC
As per comment 6.
>>I have since upgraded to Alpha 4.4.41 and, so far, I have not encountered this problem again.

It seems the this issue has been resolved. Hence as of  now I am closing this issue.