Bug 5831 - Web Service reference builder generates Async calls with syntax errors
Summary: Web Service reference builder generates Async calls with syntax errors
Alias: None
Product: Class Libraries
Classification: Mono
Component: System.Web.Services ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Bugzilla
Depends on:
Reported: 2012-06-22 18:34 UTC by Eugene Vernikovskiy
Modified: 2017-09-06 17:01 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

Tags: XATriaged
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report for Bug 5831 on GitHub or Developer Community if you have new information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.

If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the original description:

  • Export the original title and description: GitHub Markdown or Developer Community HTML
  • Copy the title and description into the new report. Adjust them to be up-to-date if needed.
  • Add your new information.

In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments: GitHub Markdown with public comments

Related Links:

Description Eugene Vernikovskiy 2012-06-22 18:34:06 UTC
I am trying to generate a Web Service reference using MONO development environment. It works fine except the async methods in the service C# wrapper are generated with syntax errors.

If you look on the code sample below, the parameter names in the method are named 
callback and asyncState but in the body of the method they are used as asyncCallback and userState

public System.IAsyncResult BeginLogIn(LogInRequest request, System.AsyncCallback callback, object asyncState) {
            return base.BeginInvoke("LogIn", new object[] {
                        request}, asyncCallback, userState);
The workaround is to open the Reference.cs file and edit if for all the async calls. Once the syntax error is addressed, the code compiles fine. However, it would be nice if the manual editing of the file is not required.
Comment 1 Atsushi Eno 2013-05-22 15:41:06 UTC
If you are creating the web service reference on VS, using Xamarin Studio instead to generate proxy for web service reference might workaround your problem.
Comment 2 Eugene Vernikovskiy 2013-05-22 17:22:37 UTC
I am creating the wrapper using Xamarin Studio. Originally it was creating the Begin/End methods fine but after a new version was released and I used it to generate the wrapper the Begin/End methods disappeared. So I have to recreate the methods manually because my code uses them and I do not have time to refactor it.
Comment 3 Martin Baulig 2013-05-27 12:27:11 UTC
Do you have some sample WSDL for this?
Comment 5 PJ 2013-11-19 17:05:16 UTC
This bug has been in the NEEDINFO state with no changes for the last 90 days. Can we put this back into the NEW or CONFIRMED state, or are we still awaiting response?

If there is no change in the status of this bug over the next two weeks, this bug will be marked as NORESPONSE.
Comment 6 PJ 2013-12-05 18:35:35 UTC
This bug has not been changed from the NEEDINFO state since my previous comment, marking as RESOLVED NORESPONSE.

Please feel free to REOPEN this bug at any time if you are still experiencing the issue. Please add the requested information and set the bug back to the NEW (or CONFIRMED) state.
Comment 7 Eugene Vernikovskiy 2013-12-05 18:52:41 UTC
I believe that it is not really needed because any WSDL file doesn ot provide Begin/End methods so Xamarin developers can test it on any WSDL file.

However, I've provided the the WSDL file on 2013-06-10 18:59:48 EDT. I am not sure why this SPAR was labeled as NORESPONSE when the actual response has been provided.