Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Created attachment 23152 [details]
Build output from Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio for Mac (big gap between the two snippets on line 232)
CopyNonResxEmbeddedResources target fails to run on Visual Studio for Mac
Building the same solution with Xamarin Studio and Visual Studio for Mac generates different Mac app packages. Specifically, the CopyNonResxEmbeddedResources target is run by Xamarin Studio, but not by VS4Mac.
Examining the build output, we can see that XS runs three targets against the missing linked resources: _CollectBundleResources, _PackLibraryResources, and CopyNonResxEmbeddedResources.
VS4Mac only runs the first two targets: _CollectBundleResources and _PackLibraryResources.
Snippets of the build output from a dependent project have been attached, from which these differences can be observed.
- Every system/VM we've tested with so far (4 or so).
- Whether the resources are copied or linked into the project.
- Regardless of whether the top-level project includes the resources, or if they are linked in a dependent project.
- Latest Xamarin Studio [Community] (v6.3 build 864)
- Latest Visual Studio for Mac [Community and Professional] (v7.0.1 build 24)
- Latest Visual Studio for Mac Preview [Community] (v7.1 build 583)
- Mono frameworks 4.8.1, 5.0.1, and 126.96.36.199
Would you mind trying a couple things?
1. In Preferences -> Projects -> Build, disable MSBuild and switch back to xbuild.
2. Try running msbuild from the command line instead of through MacVS and see if that is any different.
1) Produces the same (correct) build package as Xamarin Studio. Looks like basically the same output as the successful XS build.
2) Produces the same (incorrect) build package as running through MacVS with MSBuild enabled. This is actually how we first noticed the issue, building through TeamCity with MSBuild at the command line. I've verified this again on my local dev system.
Chris, are you familiar with this issue? Jeff said he thinks it may already be fixed but said you might know better.
So this appears to be another msbuild/xbuild issue. Moving to XM.
I think this might be a duplicate of bug #55147
I believe so as well. The PR included appears to match.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 55147 ***