Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
There are two issues so far:
1) If i type a path into the sdk settings like "/Applications/XcodeDoesNotExist.app", close the settings window, then re-open the settings window, my path is gone. Screencast: https://screencast.com/t/NIB1tyuAqu7
2) If you make a mistake typing the path you can completely break the XMA agent in an unrecoverable way.
The relevant part of the stacktrace once the exception propagates far enough:
I have a few questions:
* If there's an explict override for the user can we always just display that override without querying the Mac?
* Can we either display an empty box with some hinttext saying 'automatic', or just leave it empty when the user has not explicitly added an override.
* Can we fix the agents so they don't silently crash when given broken paths?
Fixed in version 188.8.131.52 (master)
Author: Mauro Agnoletti
Commit: 2d79e9b3c5dccb210749973ed4527a485bf5df49 (xamarin/XamarinVS)
Regarding the doubts above:
- There is no user override for the Xcode hint path, so we only show the information that we get from the IDB Agent
- The text box on the settings dialog should never be empty, unless there is no connection to the Mac or the IDB agent is down. In both cases a message will be displayed below the text box
- There should be no crashes withe the latest improvements
The current behaviour is that we just show what IDB Agent informs to VS. Also, when the user changes the Xcode path value, we sync with IDB and send the new value. This sync requires an agent restart, which will be correctly informed from VS in the Output pane, logs and XMA icon.
The restart is required because of MacDev API requirements
After the fix commit above, the Xcode setting experience has been improved. Besides having no errors to retrieve Xcode path, this should be the new experience:
- A new checkbox has been added, to allow deciding if the default Xcode path should be used or not, saving the user to type or decide anything else.
- If there is no connection to the Mac or the IDB agent is not connected, then the Xcode hint path textbox and checkbox should be disabled, given they only makes sense when there is a full active connection
- When there is a full connection against a Mac, if the Xcode path set is the default, then the checkbox should be checked and the text box should be disabled, showing which is the default path. If the path is not the default, then it will be shown in the textbox with the checkbox unchecked.
- If the user unchecks the checkbox, the textbox will be enabled allowing the user to write the new Xcode path to use. If the user writes an invalid value or a blank value, then the default Xcode path will be used instead
Finally, the restarting of the IDB Agent after the change of the Xcode path has been removed, since it's no necessary.
This issue will be fixed for the next 15.3 refresh.
Master commit: 566e7f1c6a9d3e44362f65929e9853e92a283dec
Pending for approval on d15-3 branch: https://github.com/xamarin/XamarinVS/pull/7696
Verified this issue on the build
Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015
Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework
Installed Version: Enterprise
Xamarin 184.108.40.206 (6a60c38)
Xamarin.Android 220.127.116.11 (0a1eb81)
Xamarin.iOS 10.13.0.14 (0a31695)
Scenario: Create an app, then change $(Optimize) in the Debug
configuration to be True, with $(EmbedAssembliesIntoApk)=False
(default for Debug configuration).
Actual result- Application gets deploy successfully.
Please ignore Comment 6 and Comment 7 , Marked this defect as Verified mistakenly. Reverting the Bug Verified>Resolved FIX again.