Bug 521 - Typing "///" within a summary comment block creates yet another summary comment
Summary: Typing "///" within a summary comment block creates yet another summary comment
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Studio
Classification: Desktop
Component: Text Editor ()
Version: 2.6 RC 1
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: --- major
Target Milestone: 2.8
Assignee: Mike Krüger
Depends on:
Reported: 2011-08-29 11:18 UTC by René Ruppert
Modified: 2015-10-19 13:43 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description René Ruppert 2011-08-29 11:18:59 UTC
Go to any method and type "///" to add code comments.
You get the summary tags and the param tags added.
Now try to add one more line to the summary.
ENTER adds a new line but the "///" at the beginning of the line is missing.
Type the three slashes manually and another summery block is created inside the existing.
Annoying if you have to add long comments.
Comment 1 Miguel de Icaza [MSFT] 2011-08-29 19:23:20 UTC
I can not reproduce this on 2.6 RC2.

Can you try that release?

If you can still reproduce it, reopen the bug, and provide a simple cut/paste of the text you are editing so we can review.
Comment 2 René Ruppert 2011-08-30 04:46:17 UTC
Hm, odd. I have 2.6 RC2. But I have tried a new solution now and it does not happen there.
But within my current project it is happening everywhere. For existing and new files.
If I copy a file or the content of a file from the solution where it is not working into a new solution, it works there too.
It looks like it is an issue with my solution but how can the solution possibly affect this behavior? Any idea how to fix my solution?
Comment 3 Miguel de Icaza [MSFT] 2011-08-30 11:55:05 UTC
Could you help us?

make a copy of your solution, and make sure that the copy is still wrong.

Then start removing files from it, one by one, making sure every time that the error keeps happening.   Remove as much code as you can, to the point that you would feel comfortable giving us a copy of your solution for us to look at.

Once you get to that point, zip the solution up and attach it to the bug.

Then reopen the status of this bug (currently set as NEEDINFO)
Comment 4 René Ruppert 2011-08-30 12:31:22 UTC
I'm sory cannot help anymore because the problem is gone! I just tried what you said to copy the solution and start removing files but it does not happen anymore.
Meanwhile I rebooted my machine and installed MD 2.4.2 in addition, that's all I changed.
Let's consider it "magically resolved"
Comment 5 Mike Krüger 2011-09-19 08:37:39 UTC
2.8 contains some fixes in the doc generation. I suspect that that fixes it as well. It may be a miss detection in that case in the 2.6 line of the member. 

The member locations are much more reliable in the 2.8 line.
Comment 6 xamarin-release-manager 2015-10-15 14:25:39 UTC
Fixed in version (monodevelop-5.9-branch)

Author: Vsevolod Kukol
Commit: b7926331dd3a5f31cc0e369b723496605b5365e1 (mono/xwt)
Included in Commit: cc4cd949960c4fc9864b0d36bd3bc1b9fcf14834 (mono/monodevelop)
Comment 7 Lluis Sanchez 2015-10-19 13:41:08 UTC
Incorrectly closed.
Comment 8 Mike Krüger 2015-10-19 13:43:48 UTC
Works for me in 5.x and 6.0.