Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report for Bug 51831 on
Developer Community or GitHub if you have new
information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.
If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the
In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments:
GitHub Markdown with public comments
We just upgraded our Xamarin build server from "Xamarin.Android 22.214.171.124 (96c7ba6)" to "Xamarin.Android 126.96.36.199 (501e63c)", and then our Android build began to hang infinitely.
When we build directly from Visual Studio it completes the build, but when we build as VSTS-Agent it hangs infinitely.
We took a diff on the file: C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets and noticed that AutoNotify was now enabled when resolving assembly references in the target named _ResolveSatellitePaths.
When we tried to disable AutoNotify, by removing that property (The default value is false), then the build completes successfully again.
Other versions in play:
Before upgrade: Xamarin 188.8.131.523 (3b7df6f)
After upgrade: Xamarin 184.108.40.206 (00fa5cc)
Identical before and after:
Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015
Version 14.0.25420.01 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework
Visual C++ for Cross Platform Mobile Development (Android) 14.0.25401.00
The build server OS:
Windows Server 2012 R2 - Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
We do have a workaround now, but it makes upgrading our build servers more cumbersome.
It would be nice if we can get a full diagnostic build output from each version from the command line. that way we can see what might be causing the issue.
msbuild <proj> /t:SignAnroidPackage /v:d > build.log
Alternatively a repo project would help.
Created attachment 19661 [details]
zip containing build logs
Build logs as requested, on behalf of jea.
zip contains 2 files:
1_Build_working.txt (AutoUnify disabled, as noted by OP)
1_Build_autounify.txt (Build hangs, then cancelled manually)
Does the Client project contain an entry for <AppConfigFile> ?
Looking at the notes on ResolveAssemblyReference AppConfigFile needs to be empty when AutoUnify =true. Not sure if that is the problem but its worth taking a look. Unless there is a good reason you need the App.config
There is a good reason why we need AutoUnify on, related to commit .
I will try to add an override property which will allow you to override that behaviour (if you can live with the warnings).
I put up a pull request with a change that will allow users to override the value passed to ResolveAssemblyReferences if they want to.
You might be able to manually apply this change and see if that helps.
Following up on an old task.
We figured out, that it was a combination of AutoUnify and the "Record Project Details" settings under BuildStep: "Visual Studio Build" - "Advanced" - "Record Project Details".
It only locked up when both were enabled. As a result we simply enabled AutoUnify again and disabled "Record Project Details".