Bug 50086 - Breakpoints in PCL projects no longer hit
Summary: Breakpoints in PCL projects no longer hit
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Debugger ()
Version: 4.2.0 (C8)
Hardware: PC Windows
: High major
Target Milestone: 15.4
Assignee: Joaquin Jares
Depends on:
Reported: 2016-12-15 03:04 UTC by jcaptanis
Modified: 2017-07-28 13:21 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

project exhibiting no debug issue (9.19 KB, application/zip)
2016-12-15 03:04 UTC, jcaptanis
the projects which i cant debug (130.34 KB, application/zip)
2016-12-16 00:43 UTC, jcaptanis

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description jcaptanis 2016-12-15 03:04:06 UTC
Created attachment 18888 [details]
project exhibiting no debug issue

I upgraded the other day from: 


And now i no longer can hit any breakpoints in my shared pcl project. I dont get any debuger errors, no "source doesnt match stuff" they just dont get hit. This happens in the simulator or on the device (android/ios)

I went through some similiar bugs, and some recommended re-configuring the .sln/project file to order projects in a different way, that didnt help me (maybe i didnt do it correctly?). I can however create a new PCL project, stick something in it, reference it, and hit brekapoints in it no problems. So of course i then tried moving all the files over to that new project, but as soon as i did that and restored all the nuget packages, breakpoints stopped being hit again. :|

Ive been scratching my head for days, i cant get over this hump. All my XF stuff in this project, nothing will debug, no matter if its in a lamdba, xaml.cs, constructor, on the UI thread or off it.

I need help, im super frustrated right now. I have a stupid bug caused by the upgrade i cant diagnose cause its being generated while my xaml is being constructed with a staticResource that is nullReferencing for who knows why. Everything worked before the upgrade and i cant downgrade because i need a bug fixed which was done in the later version.

Ive attached the project and sln files that are exhibiting the behaviour. This is the best repo i can give you.
Comment 1 Joaquin Jares 2016-12-15 15:45:51 UTC
Can you please attach the build (detailed) logs and debug logs? That ant the offending csproj should give me a clue on what's happening. Reordering references works when you have two projects with the same assembly name (which is very common in some types of proejcts), but not in every case.

Comment 2 jcaptanis 2016-12-16 00:43:06 UTC
Created attachment 18905 [details]
the projects which i cant debug
Comment 3 jcaptanis 2016-12-16 00:51:52 UTC
Ive attached the requested logs/csprojcs

I dont know if it will help also, i use fody weaver propertychanged to auto-implement in my project, and after the upgrade it keeps complaining on build that the RedView.dll.mdb (shared PCL i cant debug) is out of date. To get i the sln to build again - I need to manually delete the offending file out of the dir - and it will regenerate one and build properly the next time. I just thought that maybe this info is useful to u.

(although i possibly think that before the upgrade it complained about this but just gave warnings instead/but didnt cause any problems otherwise previouly and i could still debug)
Comment 4 Joaquin Jares 2016-12-26 11:41:17 UTC
Thanks. I'll check it out and get back to you.
Comment 5 Joaquin Jares 2017-07-10 14:46:39 UTC
We have changed how mdb's get generated. I'm closing this as fixed for internal verification. Please reopen if you're still experiencing this issue.