Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
GitHub or Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Created attachment 18081 [details]
v4.6.1 (post installation)
I am installing Mono v184.108.40.206 on a clean (brand-new) instance of OSX Sierra (Virtual Machine). There is no other software installed other than that included the OSX Sierra. I have not run any security updates.
Prior to installation:
- I have enabled viewing of hidden files
- I have downloaded the 220.127.116.11 installer from http://www.mono-project.com/download/
- The folder `/usr/local/bin` exists
(See  on attachement)
I have successfully run the installation package choosing all the default options
(See  on attachment)
No files or links have been created in the `/usr/local/bin` folder
From the command line;
- `mono --version` throws an error: `-bash: mono: command not found`
- `which mono` returns nothing
(see  on attachment)
I have to change folders to get this working:
- `cd /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands`
- `./mono --version` returns: "Mono JIT compiler version 4.6.1 (mono-4.6.0-branch-c8sr0/abb06f1 Fri Sep 23 19:24:23 EDT 2016)"
This is different behaviour to previous versions, for example;
Restored VM to "clean" state
- Installed v4.2.4 Mono package (downloaded from http://download.mono-project.com/archive/)
- The `/usr/local/bin` folder is populated with links during installation
Once the 4.2.4 installer has completed I can successfully run the following without changing folders (i.e. from `/Users/Username`);
- `mono --version` from terminal returns: "Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.4 (explicit/71b88f3 Thu May 5 17:25:51 EDT 2016)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com"
- `which mono` returns "/usr/local/bin/mono"
Created attachment 18082 [details]
v4.2.4 During Installation
Created attachment 18083 [details]
v4.2.4 Post installation
Mono v4.4.2 also has the same problem as v4.6
Mono v4.3.2 is OK.
This is an intended change, see http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about-mono/releases/4.4.1/#changes-in-the-osx-installation-package
We no longer install anything into /usr/local/bin, but instead use /etc/paths.d/mono-commands for adding the "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands" path to PATH (which should get run automatically by your shell).
Depending on how you start your shell/script this might not get executed, in those cases you can either run the eval() script mentioned in the link I posted above or modify PATH manually.