Bug 42393 - More Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 not able to connect to Mac
Summary: More Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 not able to connect to Mac
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: General ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- blocker
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
Depends on:
Reported: 2016-07-07 06:02 UTC by SvB
Modified: 2016-12-23 02:53 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

More Xamarin Bugs.zip (492.23 KB, application/octet-stream)
2016-07-07 06:03 UTC, SvB

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description SvB 2016-07-07 06:02:40 UTC
# Steps to reproduce
The usual, open the Xamarin Mac Agent dialog through Visual Studio and attempt to connect to the Mac on the same network using it's or IP address, doesn't matter which, both fail.

# Expected behavior
To connect obviously

# Actual behavior
<E2ETraceEvent xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/E2ETraceEvent"><System xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/windows/eventlog/system"><EventID>0</EventID><Type>3</Type><SubType Name="Warning">0</SubType><Level>4</Level><TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-07-07T05:44:43.7710810Z" /><Source Name="Xamarin.Messaging.Client.Ssh.SshCommandRunner" /><Correlation ActivityID="{18e6cad4-4f0d-45f4-818d-e75652a9c064}" /><Execution ProcessName="devenv" ProcessID="8624" ThreadID="98" /><Channel /><Computer>MININT-TABR15J</Computer></System><ApplicationData>Failed to execute 'grep "ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDCGhnt4P3kFxrNw3EIlLBKwPpoRlj74+Q2rF9qnZNdLJD3Zpoq343vaKCa4vL4HJUMNMa9R53yCy2mJXH93itU1Ldw8s+6UhN+JegBXebuYafFeHBIS5Wu6XhSH7Z+uQjT0rnfqcAwXonBkgNcbpK4VH2m5ahWvMi96T+72rq5of6PZy7F94UnYfUGz1MsJ4XgiRV0W0/EVsWQKrIkbUx/Iwf+Lh8RgKxm68mGxn9HntRUB4IAYFObyZAHzxEwSJ28Ws02DSaFc3fFo1VJZuuhFHQ1I32WVj9Mvbj7caNSXvq5Jp95deU2Jepp/0vYockQTVb1oN58iAtMrK0IHe39 steve@Heidis-MacBook.local" /Users/steve/.ssh/authorized_keys': ExitStatus=1</ApplicationData></E2ETraceEvent>

# Supplemental info (logs, images, videos)

How do we upload it?

# Test environment (full version information)
Comment 1 SvB 2016-07-07 06:03:42 UTC
Created attachment 16598 [details]
More Xamarin Bugs.zip
Comment 2 Jose Gallardo 2016-07-11 13:29:22 UTC
Hi SvB,

We will need more context on the issue:

- Have you ever been able to connect to that Mac using Visual Studio + Xamarin? (Maybe with an older VS version?)

- If not, can you connect to the Mac from that Windows machine using an external SSH Client? (like PuTTY)

Also, can you please share with us the following information?

1. Xamarin Logs
Go to the menu "Help - Xamarin - Zip Logs". Please attach that zip file to the bug report.
(If you can connect to the Mac, then please run that command being connected to the Mac, that way we'll get the Mac logs as well).

2. Environment information
Go to the menu "Help - About Microsoft Visual Studio" and press "Copy Info". Please paste that info in a Bugzilla comment.

Comment 3 Jose Gallardo 2016-07-11 13:31:44 UTC
My apologies, I've just realized that you've already uploaded the logs as an attachment.

It would be very helpful if you can provide the other requested information.

Comment 4 Jose Gallardo 2016-12-23 02:53:52 UTC
As we've added several improvements to our connectivity, build system and deploying/debugging mechanism since the bug was reported, I'm resolving it tentatively as Fixed.
That said, if you're still facing this issue with current bits, please feel free to reopen the bug.