Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
GitHub or Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
I was trying to test out mono 2.11 on my existing MVC3 site that is currently running on mono 2.10.6, but can not get the site to load (rather it dies quite quickly). Previously my build process was using dmcs, but I switched to specify mcs -sdk 4, and everything builds properly without any warnings or errors.
I have observed this behavior regardless of whether I try to run from the cmd line, or from my monodevelop project (which also worked prior to trying 2.11). The only thing I needed to do in monodevelop was to disable the 'Emit debugging information' check from the debug build, otherwise it complains about an invalid debug option '+'...
Anyways, once xsp starts, when I try to access the site, I immediately end up on the new mono error page, but has no affect if I change the customerrors section, so i don't think the loading process is even able to read this configuration information before the process errs:
Adding applications '/:.'...
Virtual path: /
Physical path: /home/mmorano/code/mikeandwan.us_mvc/build/
Listening on address: 0.0.0.0
Root directory: /home/mmorano/code/mikeandwan.us_mvc/build
Listening on port: 8888 (non-secure)
Hit Return to stop the server.
An exception has occurred while generating HttpException page:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Web.Util.HttpEncoder.GetCustomEncoderFromConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Lazy`1[System.Web.Util.HttpEncoder].InitValue () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
The actual exception which was being reported was:
System.Web.HttpException: ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.Build (System.Web.VirtualPath vp) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCompiledType (System.Web.VirtualPath virtualPath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetCompiledType (System.String virtualPath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.InitType (System.Web.HttpContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
I am running opensuse 12.1, and installed the rpms available from http://download.mono-project.com/archive/2.11.0/linux/x86-64/. Here is more info from mono --version:
Mono JIT compiler version 2.11 (tarball Thu Mar 22 11:47:00 EDT 2012)
Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
Misc: debugger softdebug
LLVM: supported, not enabled.
GC: Included Boehm (with typed GC and Parallel Mark)
and here is the command i use to start xsp manually:
mono /usr/lib/mono/4.0/xsp4.exe \
--port 8888 \
--applications /:. \
Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.
i am no longer getting this error after trying on a clean system within xsp. i may have had an invalid environment.