Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
The latest Alpha (6.0 b4968) has two problems in its simulator selection drop-down:
1. It doesn't list all the available simulators
2. It doesn't allow a simulator to be selected.
This is compiling for iOS.
The list that is presented to you is filtered based on the type of device your application is targeting (e.g. if your app is for iPad-only, then obviously you shouldn't see iPhone simulators in your menu).
It is also filtered based on the minimum iOS version you've specified in your Info.plist. So if you specify a minimum iOS version of 9.3, then it won't show you simulators for 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.2, 8.1, 8.0, etc etc etc.
I suspected as much.
However my minimum OS target is set to 6.0, and the whole set of simulators from 8.1 onwards is visible in Xcode (7.3 btw).
I need a screencast or something. I can't replicate the behavior you seem to be describing. It *always* works for me. I've tested on multiple machines with different versions of Xcode.
I've tested new projects, old projects, etc.
Try going to Help -> Log Directory and attaching the latest Ide.log file (they have a timestamp in the filename) for when this happens.
It would probably also be helpful if you attached a sample project where this happens.
So I created a brand new project using XS 6 and the problem exists there too. I've attached screencast demonstrating the problem. In the screencast I compare with Xcode, which has all of the simulators available.
Created attachment 15827 [details]
IDE log file
Here's the IDE log that corresponds to the screencast.
Screencast is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2hnjdu5f9syn7l/Unable-to-select-sim.mov?dl=0
Created attachment 15828 [details]
Here's the project that has the problem
@Jeffrey please let me know if you need anything else.
As you can see from the screencast, the IDE is _extremely_ slow to open the project. This is a brand-new Xamarin Forms C# project, created for the purpose, and I have not added any code to it. The computer is a spinning-disk MacBook Pro 17" (2010 vintage) so I know it's due for an upgrade; even so, there is lots of potential for improving the speed of the IDE compared to Xcode.
However, that wasn't what the bug was about. I mention it just to explain the enormous delay in the screencast where nothing appears to be happening.
In the screencast I first try to select a simulator using Xamarin Studio, which fails. I then select it using Xcode, which succeeds.
I just double-checked and the project's minimum iOS version is set to 8.0, so that should have picked up all available simulators.
The log file was super helpful, thanks! It looks like the mtouch command is crashing due to an API change in Xcode 7.3. I've talked to the Xamarin.iOS developers and I'm told that this issue has been fixed in the latest Xamarin.iOS Alpha builds (9.8.x), so if you upgrade Xamarin.iOS, it should work.