Bug 40234 - Strings get corrupted sometimes
Summary: Strings get corrupted sometimes
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: Runtime
Classification: Mono
Component: General ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
Depends on:
Reported: 2016-04-08 11:20 UTC by Jason Imison
Modified: 2016-04-08 11:59 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Corrupted string in XS (51.45 KB, image/png)
2016-04-08 11:20 UTC, Jason Imison
FAKE screenshot in terminal (22.88 KB, image/png)
2016-04-08 11:21 UTC, Jason Imison
Corruption in the terminal (86.42 KB, image/png)
2016-04-08 11:22 UTC, Jason Imison
50/50 (192.91 KB, image/png)
2016-04-08 11:23 UTC, Jason Imison
FAKE script running inside the XS GUI (351.20 KB, image/png)
2016-04-08 11:24 UTC, Jason Imison

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report for Bug 40234 on GitHub or Developer Community if you have new information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.

If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the original description:

  • Export the original title and description: GitHub Markdown or Developer Community HTML
  • Copy the title and description into the new report. Adjust them to be up-to-date if needed.
  • Add your new information.

In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments: GitHub Markdown with public comments

Related Links:

Description Jason Imison 2016-04-08 11:20:23 UTC
Created attachment 15653 [details]
Corrupted string in XS

I can't come up with a reliable repro for this problem, but I've seen it a couple of times and seen reports from others that all look like the same issue.

I've seen the issue with the following FAKE script (and others), but this looks to be an issue in the runtime because I've seen screenshots of corrupted strings in Xamarin Studio too (see attachment)

// include Fake lib
#r @"tools/FAKE/tools/FakeLib.dll"
open Fake
open FileUtils
open Fake.Git

let ok,output,errors = Fake.Git.CommandHelper.runGitCommand "." "--version"
output |> Seq.iter trace

Target "Marker" ( fun _ -> trace "Build Complete")


RunTargetOrDefault "Marker"

I ran this script twice. I saw the problem the first time, but not again. I ran the script in a loop for 5 minutes or so and didn't see it again. All reports that I've seen have been on OSX, but unsure if it's limited to that platform.
Comment 1 Jason Imison 2016-04-08 11:21:16 UTC
Created attachment 15654 [details]
FAKE screenshot in terminal
Comment 2 Jason Imison 2016-04-08 11:22:32 UTC
Created attachment 15655 [details]
Corruption in the terminal
Comment 3 Jason Imison 2016-04-08 11:23:17 UTC
Created attachment 15656 [details]
Comment 4 Jason Imison 2016-04-08 11:24:38 UTC
Created attachment 15657 [details]
FAKE script running inside the XS GUI

Can't be a terminal / encoding issue.