Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Created attachment 15011 [details]
I ran across a few users in the forums running into this issue and one desk case came in and mentioned this as a side note after he got other XMA connection issues resolved.
I did get some logs from the Desk case and have attached them.
I do not have steps to reproduce at this time unfortunately.
It seems that one common symptom of this problem is the following error message in the `*Ide.log` file:
> Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingClient Error: 0 : [2016-02-10 20:32:25.1463] An error occured on client vs8908pc while executing a post for topic xvs/idb/220.127.116.11/set-settings
> System.TimeoutException: The operation has timed out.
> at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
> at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
> at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
> at Xamarin.Messaging.Client.MessagingClient.<PostAsync>d__23`2.MoveNext()
The first post in  includes example stack traces for timeouts both during this "set-settings" topic as well as during the "show-app" topic.
There is a chance this behavior might already be improved in the current "Cycle 7 Preview" versions now on the Alpha updater channel .
In particular, a very similar error message  was reported to be mostly resolved by a "hotfix build"  that added some candidate fixes. And all of those candidate fixes are now also included on the current Alpha channel versions.
In case the current Cycle 7 Preview builds do not yet help with this problem...
## Some additional possible workarounds from an earlier bug report (Bug 37613) about the same problem
Workaround 1 (work at 100%):
(Re-summarized from the original text in Bug 37613)
- Run `/Library/Frameworks/Xamarin.iOS.framework/Versions/Current/bin/mtouch --launchsim` by hand in a Terminal.app command prompt to launch the app. One way to find the full `mtouch` command line to use is to run the following in a Terminal.app command prompt after attempting to launch the app on simulator:
ps -ax | grep 'mtouch --launchsim'
The full command should look similar the following:
> --launchsim /Users/macuser/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/UnifiedSingleViewIphone1/0804ca0b24f10dbf3483e99a63b05d80/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/UnifiedSingleViewIphone1.app
> -stdout /Users/macuser/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/UnifiedSingleViewIphone1/0804ca0b24f10dbf3483e99a63b05d80/out.log
> -stderr /Users/macuser/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/UnifiedSingleViewIphone1/0804ca0b24f10dbf3483e99a63b05d80/err.log
> --sdkroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
> -sdk 9.2
> Workaround 2: (work at 50%)
> - kill the app in the simulator. The new app version will then deploy
> and run fine immediatly.
> Workaround 3: (work at 50% because of other bugs)
> - Close VS and kill the remaining IDB.exe process on the mac. Reopen
> VS. If the list of simulators fills correctly, you are lucky.
> Otherwise close VS again.
> Workaround 4:
> - quit the ios simulator. It will relaunched almost immediatly with
> the deployed app ok.
*** Bug 37613 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
## Preliminary customer verifications that the bug is indeed fixed on the "Cycle 7 Preview" currently available on the Alpha channel
- 2016-03-04, https://kb.xamarin.com/agent/case/285056
- 2016-03-04, http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/183909/#Comment_183909
*** Bug 40416 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This bug should be fixed at maximum in the master branch from this commit: 77293dae7aec74164c54896d14d4a10c82ea001a
Many improvements has been added related to timeouts due to errors in the SSH commands and XMA messages. Many are already in Cycle7 and many others are still in master. Testing from that master commit should ensure the resolution.
Changing the status to "Resolved" as the patch has been already shipped to stable in XVS 18.104.22.1680.