Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report for Bug 3824 on
GitHub or Developer Community if you have new
information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.
If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the
In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments:
GitHub Markdown with public comments
Created attachment 1489 [details]
A sample project
When compiling a solution whose location contains an '@', xbuild fails to resolve project references within the solution.
I've attached a small example project to demonstrate the problem. The contents of the project are irrelevant up to the point that they compile with the msbuild (4.0) and xbuild versions I've tested except when the path contains an '@'.
I've tested with the following versions, locally compiled on Debian squeeze:
Both fail with the same error:
> Program.cs(5,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ClassLibrary1' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
Increasing verbosity, I've found the cause through this message:
> Primary Reference from AssemblyFiles /.../foo%40bar/ClassLibrary1/bin/Debug//ClassLibrary1.dll, file not found. Ignoring
where the directory actually should be called "/.../foo@bar". This seems to be a rather trivial encoding error.
I run into the same problem when using "bin\Debug (AnyCPU)" and "bin\Debug (x86)" for the output directories of a .exe project and I have a unit test project that references the executable project. The executable project gets built, but then it is not referenced in the compiler command line for the library project.
Running xbuild with /verbosity:diagnostic, I find this line:
Primary Reference from AssemblyFiles /home/greg/dev/dbsc/mongodbsc/bin/Debug %28x86%29//mongodbsc.exe, file not found.
I'm using mono 126.96.36.199 on Ubuntu.