Bug 36596 - Potential HttpClient Ntlm memory leak
Summary: Potential HttpClient Ntlm memory leak
Alias: None
Product: Class Libraries
Classification: Mono
Component: System.Net.Http ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: --- normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Marek Safar
Depends on:
Reported: 2015-12-04 13:44 UTC by Chris Hamons
Modified: 2015-12-07 17:02 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Repro part 1 (17.30 KB, application/zip)
2015-12-04 13:44 UTC, Chris Hamons
Repro part 2 (17.30 KB, application/zip)
2015-12-04 13:44 UTC, Chris Hamons
Real repro part 2 (4.32 KB, application/zip)
2015-12-04 13:45 UTC, Chris Hamons

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on GitHub or Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description Chris Hamons 2015-12-04 13:44:19 UTC
Created attachment 14121 [details]
Repro part 1

From https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/57141/potential-httpclient-ntlm-memory-leak

It looks like there is a memory leak in HttpClient when using Ntlm authentication. HttpClient seems to work ok if no credentials are used, but when request is authorized (server responds with 200 OK) memory starts to climb.

Attached is a sample app, which makes a connection to the server we have set up (code for the server is also included). We will remove the server in a week, but wanted to make it easy to test for somebody willing to help.

The app is a console app, few lines of code which just makes a connection and checks that response is 200 OK.
If you let it run for a couple of minutes you should see memory rise.

To try, open HttpClientMemoryLeak.zip in Xamarin studio and run (it will make a connection to a server we have set up). You can also run your own server.
Comment 1 Chris Hamons 2015-12-04 13:44:43 UTC
Created attachment 14122 [details]
Repro part 2
Comment 2 Chris Hamons 2015-12-04 13:45:34 UTC
Created attachment 14123 [details]
Real repro part 2
Comment 3 Chris Hamons 2015-12-04 13:46:07 UTC
Repro web server requires asp.net, which I do not have access to a windows dev box to validate.
Comment 4 Marek Safar 2015-12-07 17:02:02 UTC
Fixed in master