Bug 34308 - Mono.Android.dll.mdb is not installed
Summary: Mono.Android.dll.mdb is not installed
Alias: None
Product: Android
Classification: Xamarin
Component: BCL Class Libraries ()
Version: 6.0.0
Hardware: PC Windows
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: 6.0 (C6)
Assignee: Bugzilla
Depends on:
Reported: 2015-09-25 18:38 UTC by Sandy Armstrong [MSFT]
Modified: 2015-10-19 09:48 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description Sandy Armstrong [MSFT] 2015-09-25 18:38:14 UTC
Steps to reproduce:

1. Set a breakpoint somewhere in Mono.Android.dll
2. Run an Android app that should hit that breakpoint

Expected results:

Breakpoint hit! Pizza Party!

Actual results:

Breakpoint never hit. Pizza place claims it never received your order even though you called two hours ago.

In Cycle 5 SR4, for example, the MDB files is alongside the DLL at `C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\5.1`. In Cycle 6, the DLL is very lonely without its MDB buddy.

Inspector requires this.
Comment 1 Jonathan Pryor 2015-09-25 22:19:03 UTC
This is a problem with the Windows .msi package. Mono.Android.dll.db is present on OS X.
Comment 2 Sandy Armstrong [MSFT] 2015-09-26 09:23:50 UTC
I don't know if this is related, but I also noticed that when I build a simple Android app (on Windows), MDB files are no longer placed in bin\Debug with the assemblies. They are now only found in obj\Debug\assemblies.
Comment 3 Daniel Cazzulino 2015-09-26 10:04:22 UTC
The installer part, fixed in 11520ab2a9b0f03b11c92b0765421589d9dbc90f
Comment 4 PJ 2015-09-28 10:04:54 UTC
Comment 5 Sandy Armstrong [MSFT] 2015-09-28 10:35:13 UTC
Fixed in XVS master. The other part I mentioned just in case it would help figuring out the bug, but it was unrelated (and actually it is being fixed anyway).
Comment 6 Sandy Armstrong [MSFT] 2015-09-28 12:53:52 UTC
Sorry, I spoke too soon. There is a PR for XVS master, but it is not yet merged.
Comment 7 Sandy Armstrong [MSFT] 2015-09-28 13:03:30 UTC
Actually the change is in master, but it doesn't seem to be sufficient yet.
Comment 8 Peter Collins 2015-10-01 17:47:30 UTC
Using the build attached in https://trello.com/c/dNH8UeMH/214-xa-windows-installer-is-not-including-xa-mdbs, I'm able to confirm that MonoAndroid reference assemblies again have their corresponding .mdb installed alongside.
Comment 9 Mohit Kheterpal 2015-10-07 07:43:41 UTC
I have checked this issue and observed that Mono.Android.dll.mdb file is installed when we install XVS as shown in screencast : http://screencast.com/t/FeYalH9mky