Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
I'm using .NET satellite assemblies for localization, and found that when deploying with "Use Fast Deployment" checked in Visual Studio under Debug mode, none of the satellite dlls get loaded when running my app.
If I use msbuild (like comment 34 from this old bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5037#c34) then the satellite dll folders get copied into the .__override__ folder.
I also found that when compiling in Release mode the satellite dlls are copied into the .apk file, but my app always displays English and isn't loading any of the other language resources.
It looks like bug 5037 may need to be re-opened? Although even there building in Release mode solved the issue which isn't the case now
I have checked this issue with the help of bug description and not able to reproduce this issue. I followed the steps as shown in screencast: http://www.screencast.com/t/mtDeE030g
Please review the screencast and let me know what additional steps we need to follow to reproduce this issue.
Also, It would be great If you provide log details and Sample project also.
Created attachment 12602 [details]
Xamarin logs and VS Solution
Created attachment 12603 [details]
lowercase mx in es-mx in debug/bin output folder
In the screencast you used a Windows form project, but I'm having the problem in Xamarin Android. I attached a zip folder with logs and a modified VS solution based on the sample project from bug 5037.
I also attached a screenshot that shows two folders in the bin/debug output directory, fr-CA and es-mx. The es-mx should have a capital MX, but for some reason only fr has the capital CA. The resulting apk file also has the lowercase mx which leads to the app not displaying the spanish translated text.
Note: localization won't work at all if "use shared runtime" and "use fast deployment" are checked. I had to build in release mode or debug mode with those checkboxes un-checked.
Reopened. Bug needs to be verified on an Android project @asimk
Created attachment 12834 [details]
Modified Test Project that works as expected.
I tested this issue and was able to reproduce, but I think there was just an issue in the set up.
To make the attached test project work as expected, two things needed to be done:
1. Change the names of the localized resx files to:
2. In the properties for the above files, add the Custom Tool:
Without 2 above the source code for the es-MX and fr-CA resx files were never generated and not having the capitals meant the resources could not be found.
There should be a strings.xx-XX.Designer.cs file for each resx file and this is not generated without the same Custom Tool that is being used for the main strings.resx file.
I have modified the test project with the above changes and attached it back.
Marking as "Answered"