Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report for Bug 25802 on
Developer Community or GitHub if you have new
information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.
If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the
In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments:
GitHub Markdown with public comments
I missed few features on Layout Editor, here's a small list:
1) If I open a tag like <LinearLayout>, the editor should automatically close this tag once I type the > character.
As an alternative, the editor should "guess" which tag I'm trying to close once I type </ string and suggest some options.
2) Code completion of tag attributes.
3) For attributes like background or textColor, a small square next to line number, at the begining of row where this attribute has been typed should show the color of entered hexcode.
4) Resolve strings inside Layout Editor, show <TextView android:text="Product"/> and once the user hover or click on this attribute show the id, or <TextView android:text="@string/product"/>
5) Code completion for string resources, layout references, and ids.
We have checked and our observation as follows:
1. If we open a tag like <LinearLayout, typing > character shows </LinearLayout>
whereas typing </ string and suggest some options like /LinearLayout>.
2. Code completion appears for tag attributes. Checked for tag attributes like
3. For attribute like background we are getting rectangular tooltip, on hovering hexcode. like android:background="#003300"
4. Resolve strings inside Layout Editor seems not working.
5. Code completion for string resources, layout references, and ids also not working.
Version 5.7 (build 661)
Installation UUID: 0b7eaebc-a0ed-4b58-81df-91e378cad28c
Mono 3.12.0 ((detached/a813491)
GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)
Package version: 312000068
Version: 184.108.40.206 (Trial Edition)
Android SDK: /Users/Admin_Mac/Desktop/Anddk/android-sdk-macosx
Supported Android versions:
2.1 (API level 7)
2.2 (API level 8)
2.3 (API level 10)
3.1 (API level 12)
4.0 (API level 14)
4.0.3 (API level 15)
4.1 (API level 16)
4.2 (API level 17)
4.3 (API level 18)
4.4 (API level 19)
4.4.87 (API level 20)
5.0 (API level 21)
Java SDK: /usr
java version "1.7.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)
Apple Developer Tools
Xcode 6.1 (6602)
Version: 220.127.116.11 (Business Edition)
Build date: 2015-01-08 13:39:32-0500
Version: 18.104.22.168 (Business Edition)
Release ID: 507000661
Git revision: b70bab61da996da29045ea8ee8aed1a6faedbe78
Build date: 2015-01-05 16:31:31-05
Xamarin addins: 82f6c71490562d6cd125a09287f441902fdac3d7
Mac OS X 10.10.2
Darwin Admin-Macs-Mac-mini.local 14.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.1.0
Thu Nov 13 18:36:56 PST 2014
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 11057 ***
This isn't the same thing as that other bug.
1) This should work. You might need to enable an option though.
* Xamarin Studio Preferences -> Text Editor -> Behavior -> XML
2) This should be working correctly in the most recent Stable builds
3) That would be nice. In some cases if you hover over the attribute value it'll show you either the color or image
4) That would be nice.
5) This might not work as well as I'd like, but I believe it is better.
For any of these issues that don't work or work the way you'd like or any general layout(Source) editor requests please file them as individual bugs that way we can track each one independently.