Bug 25732 - Fonts in many locations are showing just symbols
Summary: Fonts in many locations are showing just symbols
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Studio
Classification: Desktop
Component: General ()
Version: 5.5
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: master
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-01-05 23:57 UTC by Mike Desaro
Modified: 2015-11-06 12:37 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
font bug screen shot (140.36 KB, image/png)
2015-01-05 23:57 UTC, Mike Desaro
Details
XS IDE log file (11.84 KB, application/octet-stream)
2015-01-09 09:57 UTC, Mike Desaro
Details
First busted screenie (183.22 KB, image/png)
2015-11-03 14:48 UTC, Mike Desaro
Details
Second busted screenie (220.74 KB, image/png)
2015-11-03 14:48 UTC, Mike Desaro
Details
Settings works fine (195.23 KB, image/png)
2015-11-03 14:48 UTC, Mike Desaro
Details
Latest IDE log (5.86 KB, application/octet-stream)
2015-11-03 14:49 UTC, Mike Desaro
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description Mike Desaro 2015-01-05 23:57:49 UTC
Created attachment 9250 [details]
font bug screen shot

See attached screenshot for example. This is running a clean install on a retina MacBook Pro. I ran all uninstall scripts and reinstalled from scratch but the fonts still show up as symbols.
Comment 1 Prashant manu 2015-01-09 01:42:06 UTC
We have checked and not able to reproduce the problem. Could you please provide us the test steps you followed along with the Primary Language and region of your system. 

Also can you please add the logs from the following places?:
On XS IDE Log  Location: XS>Help> Open Log Directory> IDE.log file (with latest
timestamp)

Environment Info:
XS 5.5.4(build 15)
Comment 2 Mike Desaro 2015-01-09 09:56:28 UTC
My language and region are both US. It is really odd but XS is the only app that has this odd font bug. The steps that I follow to repro are pretty basic:

- download the latest XS
- install XS
- open XS and the fonts are as in the screen shot.

I have also added the log file that you requested to the bug report.
Comment 3 Mike Desaro 2015-01-09 09:57:04 UTC
Created attachment 9301 [details]
XS IDE log file
Comment 4 Mike Desaro 2015-01-11 14:57:38 UTC
Just to add to this, I installed Xamarin on an iMac running 10.10 and I am seeing the exact same symbols instead of a proper font. I only have these 2 computers to test on at the moment but I'll try installed on some others when I get a chance and see if they have the same issue as well.
Comment 5 Mike Desaro 2015-01-12 15:37:44 UTC
It looks like whatever changed in 5.7 build 661 has fixed this issue on both of my computers. I didn't see anything in the release notes regarding font rendering but it is fixed. Thanks!
Comment 6 Mike Desaro 2015-11-03 14:47:48 UTC
The font rendering bug appears to be back. Testing with 5.9.8 build 0 on a retina MacBook Pro with El Capitan 10.11.1 (15B42). Same repro steps as comment 2 above. Now the interesting bit is that some dialogs such as solution options are fine but the really important bits like debugging and properties is totally busted. Latest screenshots are bused1, busted2 and works. Latest log file also included.
Comment 7 Mike Desaro 2015-11-03 14:48:18 UTC
Created attachment 13633 [details]
First busted screenie
Comment 8 Mike Desaro 2015-11-03 14:48:32 UTC
Created attachment 13634 [details]
Second busted screenie
Comment 9 Mike Desaro 2015-11-03 14:48:49 UTC
Created attachment 13635 [details]
Settings works fine
Comment 10 Mike Desaro 2015-11-03 14:49:02 UTC
Created attachment 13636 [details]
Latest IDE log
Comment 11 Lluis Sanchez 2015-11-05 06:27:06 UTC
This may be caused by corrupted fonts in your system. Try this: open the OSX Font Book app and run the command "File > Restore Standard Fonts...". Let me know if that fixes the issue.
Comment 12 Mike Desaro 2015-11-06 12:37:53 UTC
Found the issue! It looks like Xamarin grabs the first Helvetica font installed in the system. My first Helvetica font was Fractions (a math formula font). Xamarin was using that one. I deleted the Fractions font and then Xamarin grabbed the proper Helvetica.