Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Steps to reproduce:
1/ Create iOS project in Visual Studio
2/ Change output path from bin\iPhone\Release to something like ..\..\bin\iPhone\Release
(use case: output multiple projects in a common bin folder)
4/ MacOSX host:
It created a folder in /Users/XXXX/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/TestOutputRelativePath/../../bin/iPhone/Release
it somehow stays inside TestOutputRelativePath sandbox (otherwise output folder might mix with other builds)
I attached a project exhibiting the behavior.
Created attachment 8314 [details]
Project with relative OutputPath
Note: Same goes if I have a Content that I added with "Add as Link":
It will be copied in the relative directory on the MacOSX as well.
As an example:
This file will be copied in
/Users/XXXX/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/TestOutputRelativePath/0f2290a67532a4ae5fa892631XXXXXXX/../mycontent.txt (instead of a subfolder of 0f2290a67532a4ae5fa892631XXXXXXX).
I have checked this issue and I am able to reproduce it. To reproduce this issue I have followed steps mentioned in the bug description.
Zipxam Log: https://gist.github.com/Parmendrak/96b1ce2aa622ae6799c0
Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
Version 12.0.30723.00 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework
Xamarin 22.214.171.124 (58a59ecb5fa40a0a2e97617c36c069074404c6ae)
Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.
Xamarin.Android 126.96.36.199 (04399d62cfc00624d575239d1762ea4fd6d012e2)
Visual Studio plugin to enable development for Xamarin.Android.
Xamarin.iOS 188.8.131.52 (ff9d4a06f588a29e1db224ecd4216f68a9106299)
Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.
It's not trivial the change that we would need to support this scenario.
Specifically for the relative output path you could use something like "..\..\$(AppName)\bin" for example in order to keep separate the output for different solutions.
And in general we recommend not to use relative paths for shared assets.