Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Created attachment 8307 [details]
The build output
I received this error when rebuilding my solution:
error MT0000: Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Xamarin.DRM.AssemblyVerifier.CheckResolvedAssemblyReferences (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assembly, System.String file, LicenseType licenseLevel, System.Func`3 isXamarinSigned, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 exceptions) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Xamarin.DRM.AssemblyVerifier.CheckResolvedAssembly (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assembly, System.String file, LicenseType licenseLevel, System.Func`3 isXamarinSigned, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 exceptions) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MonoTouch.Tuner.MonoTouchManifestResolver.Load (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MonoTouch.Target.Initialize (Boolean show_warnings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MonoTouch.Application.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MonoTouch.Application.Build () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MTouch.Main2 (System.String args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at MTouch.Main (System.String args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
The build output is attached. I am blocked until I can figure out how to solve this.
Looks like the problem was a duplicate assembly reference, probably resulting from a git merge. (It's a shame you decided to use Visual Studio's approach of storing massive amounts of metadata about the project structure instead of just relying on the directory and file structure on disk, as IntelliJ and many other IDEs. Version control systems, especially git, don't deal well with merging XML, so I find myself frequently manually resolving conflicts.)
I am no longer blocked. It would have been nice to get a more meaningful error message.
Unfortunately we need to use Visual Studio's approach since we need to keep compatibility.
Reassigning to iOS team since we should provide a more meaningful error message.
Fixed in master/c76398b79da14994993fb90af158aef598c3e2cf
Thanks for the logs. Some code was added before we reported the error (leading to an NRE if something was wrong with the assembly, e.g. file not found).
*** Bug 24889 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I have tried to reproduce this issue with stable X.iOS builds 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 but unable to reproduce it.
I have followed the steps mentioned below.
1. Create an iOS application with starter license
2. Add name space using Mono.Data.Sqlite but didn't add sqlite library in reference.
3. Build the application.
4. Observed that it gives proper error message "type or namespace" not exists. Are you missing an assembly reference? its not giving NRE Exception.
Please confirm is this is correct steps to reproduce this issue or not?
Please let me know if I am missing anything.
What you did has nothing to do with the bug I reported. I don't know where you got those steps from. The error I reported was due to the project file having "duplicate" references to an assembly, not a missing reference.
I have checked this issue but I am not able to reproduce this issue. Please check the screencast and let me know if I have missed anything. Could you please provide us steps so that we can reproduce this issue and verify it.
Xamarin Studio: 5.5.4 (build 15)
Xamarin.Android : 220.127.116.11 (Business Edition)
Xcode 6.1 (6602)
Xamarin.iOS: 18.104.22.168 (Business Edition)
Xamarin.Mac: 22.214.171.124 (Business Edition)
Mac OS X 10.9.4