Bug 22948 - iOS Application using Reactive crashes immediately after starting on a device
Summary: iOS Application using Reactive crashes immediately after starting on a device
Alias: None
Product: iOS
Classification: Xamarin
Component: General ()
Version: 7.4.x
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: --- normal
Target Milestone: 8.2.0
Assignee: Bugzilla
Depends on:
Reported: 2014-09-12 14:07 UTC by Dominic N [MSFT]
Modified: 2014-09-18 12:16 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Test Project (18.72 KB, application/zip)
2014-09-12 14:07 UTC, Dominic N [MSFT]
iPad Console Log (10.45 KB, text/plain)
2014-09-12 14:08 UTC, Dominic N [MSFT]

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description Dominic N [MSFT] 2014-09-12 14:07:08 UTC
Created attachment 8040 [details]
Test Project

There is an issue when running an application with Reactive on an iOS device (simulators work fine). The application crashes immediately upon launching on a device.

Code has worked in previous versions of Xamarin with no issue.

## Steps to Reproduce:

1. Create a new Xamarin.iOS project using Reactive (or use the sample app provided). 

2. Push the app to a simulator and observe behavior.

2. Push the app to a physical device and observe behavior.

## Actual Results:

App runs fine on simulator, but crashes immediately upon launch on device.

## Expected Results:

App should not crash on device.
Comment 2 Dominic N [MSFT] 2014-09-12 14:08:53 UTC
Created attachment 8041 [details]
iPad Console Log
Comment 3 Sebastien Pouliot 2014-09-12 14:45:07 UTC
That sounds like an AOT issue.

<Error>: Stacktrace:
<Error>: at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
<Error>: at (wrapper unknown) object.gsharedvt_out () <0xffffffff>
<Error>: at ReactiveUI.ReactiveNotifyPropertyChangedMixin.<SubscribeToExpressionChain`2>m__1<!!0, !!1> (ReactiveUI.IObservedChange`2<object, object>) [0x00000] in
Comment 4 Sebastien Pouliot 2014-09-12 15:20:52 UTC
The application starts fine on device using master. 

It might have been fixed in 8.0 (unlikely since it's very similar to 7.4, i.e. same mono) or 8.2 (newer mono).
Comment 5 Sebastien Pouliot 2014-09-12 16:21:21 UTC
It also works on 8.2. It's too late for runtime/AOT fixes for 7.4/8.0* so I'm closing this bug.

* I might still validate it with 8.0 if I have to rebuild it (seems likely).
Comment 6 Dominic N [MSFT] 2014-09-15 11:42:39 UTC
I've tested on the latest Alpha of Xamarin Studio with an iPhone 5 on iOS 8 and an iPhone 5 on iOS 7 and am able to replicate the crash on both devices.

## Versioning information:

=== Xamarin Studio ===

Version 5.4 (build 216)
Installation UUID: ee07b9c8-41e3-496f-a1ab-e8a3ed3db20f
	Mono 3.8.0 ((no/45d0ba1)
	GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

	Package version: 308000009

=== Xamarin.iOS ===

Version: (Business Edition)
Hash: 436246d
Build date: 2014-09-10 00:04:26-0400

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 504000216
Git revision: bf73535e350da9a84b6990c72149b84467757c52
Build date: 2014-09-09 15:40:19-04
Xamarin addins: cb699c7d52f13def4e9746f8086e9f24ef6d894f

=== Operating System ===

Mac OS X 10.9.4
Darwin Dominics-MacBook-Pro.local 13.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0
    Tue Jun  3 21:27:35 PDT 2014
    root:xnu-2422.110.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Comment 7 Sebastien Pouliot 2014-09-15 13:59:17 UTC
Changing miltsone to 8.2 so it will be independently verified by QA before it's release.
Comment 8 Sebastien Pouliot 2014-09-15 16:12:47 UTC
Closing my side of the loop, I confirm it does NOT work on XI 8.0.
For reference: https://gist.github.com/spouliot/8149b87847f67ff18bc7