Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
I recently upgraded to mtouch 5.0.2.
I uninstalled mono/mono develop/mtouch and xcode. Then I installed all the latest versions as recommended on the mtouch installation pages.
I have a very large project that was created with mtouch 4.
When I opened the project monodevelop/mtouch offered back up and upgrade the project.
All this worked OK.
I opened the new project. It opens fine and I can navigate in mono develop ok. Hoever as soon as I hit build I get this message:
Build Failed. Command Execution Failed: command
There is no other output in the build output window.
Oh, I just discovered that removing my command line arguments does build (with errors)
These are the arguments that I was using based on suggested for other bug fixes.
-aot "nrgctx-trampolines=4048" -aot "nimt-trampolines=4048"..
OK. So then I put them back in to see which one is an error. No it build with the extra arguments.
I am building for debug/iPhone Simulator. Now I get this build error.
Compiling to native code
/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/bin/mtouch -v --nomanifest --nosign -sim "/Code/Dev/SourceCode2011/Applications/SNAP/Mobile/iSnap/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/iSnap.app" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.dll" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.Xml.dll" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.Core.dll" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/monotouch.dll" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.Data.dll" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.ServiceModel.dll" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/OpenTK.dll" -r "/Developer/MonoTouch/usr/lib/mono/2.1/System.Xml.Linq.dll" -r "/Code/Dev/SourceCode2011/Applications/SNAP/Mobile/iSnap/AppLimitCloudComputingSharpBoxMonoTouch.dll" -debug -nolink -sdk "5.0" -targetver "5.0" -aot "nrgctx-trampolines=4048" -aot "nimt-trampolines=4048" "/Code/Dev/SourceCode2011/Applications/SNAP/Mobile/iSnap/bin/iPhoneSimulator/Debug/iSnap.exe"
This feature is not supported in the evaluation version
mtouch exited with code 1
So, I remove the extra argument again and it builds and runs OK. Do I need these extra argument?
The -aot option (and arguments) are extra information that you can give the AOT compiler. AOT compilation is done only on devices. For the simulator the JIT is used so the option will be ignored (and won't fix anything).
It looks like you installed the *evaluation* version of MonoTouch. That version does not support compiling or deploying to device and does not provide the AOT compiler. As such the `mtouch` tool is reporting an error when you use '-aot' options on your command-lines.
IOW there's no need to use any "-aot" options for the simulator.
For you original issue you could add "-v -v -v" to the "mtouch extra arguments", maybe it will show a bit more when you're trying to build. Also make sure you do a "Clean" before rebuilding (in case you have old, pre-built binaries in your project).
The problem seems to be resolved:
I think by modifying the options and saving the project something got back in sync.
For the record.. please not what I said in the bug request. The build configuration is "Debug/iPhone simulator" and I was still getting "This feature is not supported in the evaluation version"
After messing with extra args (but not really changing anything) that problem went away. And everything is fine right now. My guess is that your project update wizard left something funky in the updated project file. This was rectified by saving the file again from monodevelop... just a thought.
Anyway, I have a full license so I'll download the licensed installer and get it going.
Thanks for the help.
Try to use "-aot" triggers the error, even in a simulator build (you can try it again if you like ;-), because that option is only supported for device and the evaluation version of mtouch does not support it (and report that error). Simply removing those options is likely what fixed your project/build.
note: using "-aot" on a non-evaluation version of monotouch would be ignored (for simulator builds).
Ahhh... this is interesting...
note: using "-aot" on a non-evaluation version of monotouch would be ignored
(for simulator builds).
I've done dev for a year on a licensed copy and only upgraded to 5 with the eval version.
All my configs have the -aot switch and it was never a problem for before. It was the switch from full lic to eval lic that bit me.
Thanks for the clarification.