Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
GitHub or Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
I installed both mono and fsharp from source cloned from the github repos. These were clean installs of the mono-3.4.0 tag and latest fsharp master on a freshly installed Fedora 20 machine.
Since this commit: https://github.com/mono/mono/commit/5e70ba51a0cb57dd878f08f59d0f0718867d5218 the script $PREFIX/bin/xbuild calls in turn $PREFIX/lib/mono/xbuild/12.0/bin/xbuild.exe.
When I try to compile an F# project using any version of mono > 3.2.6 (that includes this commit), I receive the following error:
$ xbuild MyProject.fsproj
error : Error executing tool
Native error= Cannot find the specified file
but `/home/scratch/local/bin/mono /home/scratch/local/lib/mono/4.5/xbuild.exe MyProject.fsproj` works. Of course, fsc.exe is not found in '/home/scratch/local/lib/mono/xbuild/12.0/bin/', but in the usual place '/home/scratch/local/lib/mono/4.5'.
I noticed that '/home/scratch/local/lib/mono/xbuild/12.0/bin/' contains some broken links of the form:
Microsoft.Build.dll -> ../gac/Microsoft.Build/188.8.131.52__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.Build.dll
for many assemblies in the Microsoft.Build namespace and Mono.Xbuild.Tasks.dll. Perhaps this is the cause.
For now I have reverted to using mono 3.2.6.
After discussion, believed to be the fault of the open source F# installer for installing FSharp.Build.dll in the GAC.
See pull request at https://github.com/fsharp/fsharp/pull/316