Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Using Windows7 and VS2010, I Updated to Xamarin 126.96.36.199 this morning and been looking to check the new version with our Android codebase. All was going well until I attempted to start another instance of VS2010 to check something in a test project and I'm now getting errors on the second instance of devenv.exe on startup and it's preventing me from loading up another android project in the second instance.
I've usually got multiple instances of VS running most days so I can see this is going to be a problem.
The error-box I get on start-up:
Microsoft Visual Studio
The 'Xamarin.VisualStudio.Shell.ShellPackage, Xamarin.VisualStudio.Shell, Version=188.8.131.52, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756' package did not load correctly.
The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more information by running the application together with the /log parameter on the command line, and then examining the file 'C:\Users\xoxoxox\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml'.
Continue to show this error message?
Have any of you chaps seen this happening in VS2010 or is it just me?
The ActivityLog.xml has some entries, but not much more info than the error-box that pops up. One extra entry being:
<description>Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.</description>
<path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Xamarin\Xamarin\184.108.40.206\Xamarin.VisualStudio.dll</path>
If you want the whole log off me, I'll post it if it'll help.
Just a quick update to try a work-around that failed.
I assumed that the iOS component was causing the problem so removed the Xamarin.iOS SDK using the installer change window. After that was done, the iOS section is still visible in Tools -> Options window and I still get the same startup error when opening multiple instances. So nothing changed when I removed that.
We have checked this issue and we are able to open second instance of VS 2010 successfully without any error and loading Android project correctly in second instance as well.
Could you please confirm if this issue occurs with any specific project or with all xamarin Android projects?
If problem exist with specific solution, can you please attach the solution that demonstrates this behavior. Please also mention any sub steps(If any) that you followed and are not in description.
Also can you please add the logs from the following places
IDE log: Location: C:\User\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Log\
(Devenev file with latest timestamp)
Created attachment 7049 [details]
Log files from the Xamarin log folder
Files from the Xamarin log folder as requested. Contains some .log and some .svclog files.
Strange. I'm starting to think my VS2010 install is borked in some subtle way.
No matter how many times I start VS2010, after the first instance is up and running, I get the error box (see first post) on all subsequent start-ups. Even loading the simplest of Android solutions, all the Android projects appear as "unavailable" in the solution explorer apart from within the the first instance of VS2010.
The error when attempting to load a solution with an xamarin project contained within it:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Mono.Debugging.Client.ICustomLogger' from assembly 'Mono.Debugging, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5e9ce85b0923c84f'.
And in the output window I get:
"C:\path-to-project\WcfSecurityTest.csproj : error : The project file 'C:\path-to-project\WcfSecurityTest.csproj' cannot be opened.
The project type is not supported by this installation."
I've attached the files you were after in the zip file "Xamarin_Log_20140612.zip" and it contains all the logs from this morning. I've had a look through but can't immediately see anything.
As we've introduced several improvements around Android support, I'll mark the bug as resolved fixed.
Also, we no longer support VS 2010.
Please feel free to reopen it if you can still reproduce the issue with current bits and a supported VS version.