Bug 18217 - Assets with german diaeresis (äöü)
Summary: Assets with german diaeresis (äöü)
Alias: None
Product: Android
Classification: Xamarin
Component: General ()
Version: 4.2.x
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Jonathan Pryor
Depends on:
Reported: 2014-03-06 09:59 UTC by nacho.nespral
Modified: 2014-03-06 17:07 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description nacho.nespral 2014-03-06 09:59:24 UTC
A file name with äöü gives the error "Invalid File Name".
Comment 1 Ram Chandra 2014-03-06 11:15:14 UTC
i have tried to reproduce this issue on mac but i am unable to reproduce it.

I am getting this issue with VS on windows. 

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create/Open an "Android Project" on "Visual Studio".
2. Add a class ( class name: äöü ) file in "Android Project".
3. Build "Android Project".

screencast: http://screencast.com/t/y0yKmZvVIs


Visual Studio 2013
xamarin.Android 4.12.00028
Comment 2 Ram Chandra 2014-03-06 11:29:55 UTC
An update to the above "Comment1". I am getting this issue  when I add  a text file name "äöü.txt" in "Assets" folder inside the "android project" on VS and build the project i am getting this issue.
Comment 3 Jonathan Pryor 2014-03-06 17:07:42 UTC
Android Asset names must be ASCII because that's what `aapt` requires:


@Ram: Regarding Comment #1, that would be a compiler issue. Your äöü isn't a Java.Lang.Object subclass, and it doesn't even compile, so this is entirely constrained to the Microsoft .NET C# compiler.

You should see the exact same thing with a Console app.