Bug 18059 - DataContractSerializer does not match .NET behavior when serializing a type nested within a F# module
Summary: DataContractSerializer does not match .NET behavior when serializing a type n...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: Class Libraries
Classification: Mono
Component: WCF assemblies ()
Version: 3.2.x
Hardware: Other Linux
: --- normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Bugzilla
Depends on:
Reported: 2014-02-27 16:19 UTC by Ryan Riley
Modified: 2014-02-27 16:20 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report for Bug 18059 on GitHub or Developer Community if you have new information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.

If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the original description:

  • Export the original title and description: GitHub Markdown or Developer Community HTML
  • Copy the title and description into the new report. Adjust them to be up-to-date if needed.
  • Add your new information.

In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments: GitHub Markdown with public comments

Related Links:

Description Ryan Riley 2014-02-27 16:19:05 UTC
F# adds a Program class declaration to the code in a F# module. In .NET, the DataContractSerializer includes the module name, which is compiled as a static class, in the serialized type name. In Mono 3.2.7, I found that the DataContractSerializer ignored this parent class. Extracting the code to another file and keeping the nested TestType works the same in both Mono and .NET.

This test built successfully on .NET but failed in the Travis CI build. F# injects a Program module into the Program.fs file:

Moving these to a nested type in another file worked also failed. .NET produced Tests.TestType and Mono continued to produce only TestType:

I moved the nested type directly under the namespace in order to make these consistent: