Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Frequently MD gets in trouble when I click the expand arrow on a changed
file on the status window: It pops up following dialog:
Could not get diff information. Arg_InsufficientSpace
Parameter name: chars.
Parameter name: chars
at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.InternalGetChars (System.Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, System.Char* chars, Int32 charCount, System.UInt32& leftOverBits, System.UInt32& leftOverCount, System.Object provider, System.Text.DecoderFallbackBuffer& fallbackBuffer, System.Byte& bufferArg, Boolean flush) [0x003a7] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-2.10.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Text/UTF8Encoding.cs:822
at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.InternalGetChars (System.Byte bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, System.Char chars, Int32 charIndex, System.UInt32& leftOverBits, System.UInt32& leftOverCount, System.Object provider, System.Text.DecoderFallbackBuffer& fallbackBuffer, System.Byte& bufferArg, Boolean flush) [0x0010b] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-2.10.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Text/UTF8Encoding.cs:678
at System.Text.UTF8Encoding+UTF8Decoder.GetChars (System.Byte bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, System.Char chars, Int32 charIndex) [0x00004] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-2.10.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Text/UTF8Encoding.cs:950
at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer () [0x000bf] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-2.10.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/StreamReader.cs:396
at System.IO.StreamReader.Read (System.Char buffer, Int32 index, Int32 count) [0x00077] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-2.10.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/StreamReader.cs:453
at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadToEnd () [0x00040] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-2.10.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/StreamReader.cs:557
at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix.SvnClient.GetUnifiedDiff (FilePath path1, MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.SvnRevision rev1, FilePath path2, MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.SvnRevision rev2, Boolean recursive) [0x00102] in /private/tmp/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix/SvnClient.cs:883
When you dismiss the popup, it just says 'No differences found'
Clicking another changed file immediately states 'No differences
found' without the error popup
Same for the expand all button: all changed files are reported as 'No
Sometimes quitting MD and restarting gets rid of the problem for a
while. But as soon as it occurs once, that's it, no more differences
This is probably caused by the file you're displaying containing invalid UTF8. Is the file supposed to be a valid text file or is it supposed to be a binary file like a jpg or png?
Does restarting MonoDevelop while changing nothing else make this weird diff issue appear and disappear? Or is it an issue where you modify a file and undo changes? Or is there any particular sequence which can reliably (ish) reproduce the problem?
This happens with any source file, be it .cs, .html, .txt, .csproj files,
you name it.
If I right click on a changed file and request Diff from the Version
Control menu, I get a diff, albeit formatted differently.
But starting at 'Review Changes' on the project or solution and than
expanding the same file(s) causes the reported problem. (This is
running MD 2.8.2 now)
Right now I can't seem to get it disappear, even after quitting and
reopening MD. The error now seems to be permanent.
I'd try to create a little project to demonstrate the problem, but I'm
using a personal svn repository at assembla.com so I'd first need to
setup a public repository.
I haven't been able to reproduce this problem and i frequently use this diff view. When i was reviewing the code I saw that we were using UTF8 only decoding when reading the diff file. If the diff file was in a different text encoding it could cause this exception. I fixed this, but by the sounds of it it will not have any affect on your problem as you have a random issue.
If restarting MD fixes the problem (i.e. it's definitely not an actual text encoding bug/issue in the text files), the odds are it's some interop issue with the svn library which will require a bit of work to diagnose. If you can offer any hints on the steps required to trigger this issue in MD, would be fantastic.
I am running 2.8.2 now, and it does not occur anymore.
I was definitely using 2.8.1 when I reported the problem.
As far as I am concerned, this issue can be closed.
Do let us know if it manifests again, I didn't see anything specifically directed towards fixing this issue between 2.8.1 and 2.8.2 so it's possible the issue was just masked by some other change and we just cannot trigger it.
Thanks for reporting this.