Bug 17133 - MonoDevelop displays squares instead of fonts
Summary: MonoDevelop displays squares instead of fonts
Status: RESOLVED DOWNSTREAM
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Studio
Classification: Desktop
Component: Text Editor ()
Version: 4.0.1
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: --- normal
Target Milestone: master
Assignee: Mike Krüger
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-01-08 19:51 UTC by Gavin F
Modified: 2014-01-09 14:07 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
console log when opening mono (65.10 KB, text/rtf)
2014-01-08 19:51 UTC, Gavin F
Details
Incorrectly displayed font (152.27 KB, image/png)
2014-01-08 19:52 UTC, Gavin F
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED DOWNSTREAM

Description Gavin F 2014-01-08 19:51:24 UTC
Created attachment 5798 [details]
console log when opening mono

I'm a Unity user and recently upgraded from Unity 4.1 to Unity 4.3.1 which includes version 4.0.1 of MonoDevelop.  After upgrading, MonoDevelop no longer displays fonts correctly.  I found several forum posts about this issue, but none of the fixes have worked so far.  

Here is what I have already tried:

Moving entire Unity folder to trash and reinstalling.

Moving entire Unity folder to trash, emptying trash, deleting Users/<username>/Library/MonoDevelop-Unity-2.8 and MonoDevelop-Unity-4.0 folders, emptying trash, rebooting, zapping PRAM, and reinstalling Unity.

Get Info on Unity folder, set 'everyone' user to Read & Write permissions and 'apply to enclosed items'.  
Same window, added my user to the list and set permissions to Read & Write.
Comment 1 Gavin F 2014-01-08 19:52:09 UTC
Created attachment 5799 [details]
Incorrectly displayed font
Comment 2 Mikayla Hutchinson [MSFT] 2014-01-08 21:26:47 UTC
Unity is shipping an old, modified version of MonoDevelop. It's possible that this issue is due to their modifications as I do not recall it being reported against the official release. I suggest you report the issue to them.

However, if you can reproduce the issue with MonoDevelop 4.2.2 or later from monodevelop.com (branded as Xamarin Studio), please re-open the bug report and we'll look into it.
Comment 3 Gavin F 2014-01-09 14:07:10 UTC
Fair enough.  I did find a solution to my problem.  It seems a folder in the var directory was causing problems.  Here is my forum post on the fix.  

I had no luck with changing permissions on the Unity or mono folders. I had to launch terminal and do:

sudo /Applications/Unity/MonoDevelop.app/Contents/MacOS/monodevelop 
This allowed me to run mono with the font displaying correctly, which does point to it being a permissions problem. However, subsuequently running /Applications/Unity/MonoDevelop.app/Contents/MacOS/monodevelop (without sudo) game me a slew of errors in the terminal all relating to a pango folder in the /var directory.

rm: /var/folders/mq/5_mpf8kx20n3k4w6xywmt2sm0000gn/T//lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-atsui.so: Permission denied
rm: /var/folders/mq/5_mpf8kx20n3k4w6xywmt2sm0000gn/T//lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.la: Permission denied
rm: /var/folders/mq/5_mpf8kx20n3k4w6xywmt2sm0000gn/T//lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so: Permission denied
rm: /var/folders/mq/5_mpf8kx20n3k4w6xywmt2sm0000gn/T//lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-x.la: Permission denied
rm: /var/folders/mq/5_mpf8kx20n3k4w6xywmt2sm0000gn/T//lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-x.so: Permission denied
rm: /var/folders/mq/5_mpf8kx20n3k4w6xywmt2sm0000gn/T//lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-hangul-fc.la: Permission denied


I navigated to the /lib folder and moved pango to the trash. Subsequently launched mono and was good to go.