Bug 16724 - switching language via Options (Preference) does not take effect on Windows
Summary: switching language via Options (Preference) does not take effect on Windows
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Studio
Classification: Desktop
Component: General ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- normal
Target Milestone: 4.2.4 (from master)
Assignee: Cody Russell
: 16816 ()
Depends on:
Reported: 2013-12-11 03:56 UTC by Atsushi Eno
Modified: 2015-01-13 12:51 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

sshot (23.87 KB, image/png)
2013-12-11 03:56 UTC, Atsushi Eno

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description Atsushi Eno 2013-12-11 03:56:42 UTC
Created attachment 5635 [details]

I run English version of Windows. To see XS UI in Japanese, I switched to Japanese via XS' Options menu (sshot attached). Even after restarting XS and seeing Japanese as the selected item on the same dialog, I don't see any Japanese UI.

It works fine on Linux (Ubuntu 13.10).
Comment 1 Mikayla Hutchinson [MSFT] 2013-12-15 16:34:53 UTC
Maybe Cody's recent changes to fix gettext respecting the Windows UI language broke the override?

Comment 2 Cody Russell 2013-12-16 01:41:59 UTC
Thanks, I'll test that in the morning and see if it's responsible.
Comment 3 Mikayla Hutchinson [MSFT] 2013-12-17 23:46:07 UTC
I verified this issue. First I installed the de-DE MUI language pack on Windows and tried switching to German (de) in MD. It did not take effect, though it did take effect in MSBuild output and error messages with my fix for bug 16864.

I then switched Windows to de-DE. MD displayed correctly displayed in German. I tried XS switching to English and MSBuild output was displayed in English, but the UI remained in German.

This is with GTK# 2.12.24.
Comment 4 Mikayla Hutchinson [MSFT] 2013-12-17 23:48:19 UTC
On a tangential note, I have been wondering whether we could simplify this panel down to a checkbox - "Display MonoDevelop user interface in English". That was pretty much the only use case for these language settings.
Comment 5 Mikayla Hutchinson [MSFT] 2013-12-19 14:42:19 UTC
*** Bug 16816 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 6 Cody Russell 2013-12-20 17:03:16 UTC
Comment 7 Cody Russell 2013-12-20 17:50:32 UTC
This should be fixed by 3e9440dd80b165a4ad0bce5345843ef31182ff37

You'll also need updated gettext dlls:


I'll see if it's not too late to get those into the next gtk# release.
Comment 8 Nischal 2014-02-10 06:52:58 UTC
We have checked and now switching Japanese language via Options (Preference)  take effect on Windows

Screencast for this: http://screencast.com/t/kbVBQwZZl77

Environment Info:
XS 4.2.4 (build 14)
Build Information
Git revision: d36f82139fd61a0cda68d5baabb1c7b8402116b9
Xamarin addins: 79a1e35d2f486ba15541d74724e764c81878ab16
Comment 9 Luis Henrique 2014-02-19 13:02:16 UTC
How do I apply this fix?
My Xamarin Studio automatically installed in Portuguese Brazil language, probably because this is my Windows Language.
But I cannot manage to change my XS to English. It simply takes no effect.
I've read this bug report and Russell's instructions, but I couldn't manage to make it work.
Comment 10 Cody Russell 2014-02-19 13:22:06 UTC
I believe you'll need to wait for the Xamarin Studio 4.2.4 release to get this fix. I don't know when the exact date is, but I believe it's coming out soon.
Comment 11 Daniel Frömmel 2015-01-10 17:12:43 UTC
Hi, i faced the same issue. 

You just need to set the environment variable LANG to the appropriate value.

In my case i wanted Xamarin to use english language thus i added the following environment variable:

Comment 12 Atsushi Eno 2015-01-13 01:06:08 UTC
I don't think LANG=en applies on Windows.
Comment 13 Daniel Frömmel 2015-01-13 12:51:34 UTC
@Atushi Eno

But it does. As i said, i faced the same issue and i added this environment variable and it works.