Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Created attachment 5411 [details]
Xamarin.iOS SDK synchronization hung
After installing the 1.8 alpha for Xamarin.iOS, I loaded an iOS project using Visual Studio. I got a prompt saying that my local Xamarin.iOS SDK was out of date with that of the Mac. I answered yes to begin the update process. Xamarin shut down Visual Studio, and then started the update process. Unfortunately, that process hung indefinitely (see the attached screenshot). I finally restarted both computers and tried again. It did the same thing.
After about the third or fourth time of trying to figure out a way to work around the problem, I came up with workaround which also provides a clue as to what is causing the issue. I logged out of my normal (non-administrative) account, and logged in as Administrator. I went through the same process with Visual Studio, which indicated that I needed to update the Xamarin.iOS SDK. However, this time Visual Studio shut down, the progress bar appeared, and then after several seconds, the progress bar started moving, and the operation completed successfully.
I suspect that the synchronization process is trying to do something that requires administrative privileges without correctly using the API that asks for permission, which would have put up a UAC prompt and then allowed the installation to proceed.
Here is my version information, should that prove useful:
Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
Version 11.0.60610.01 Update 3
Microsoft .NET Framework
Visual C# 2012 04940-004-0038003-02511
Microsoft Visual C# 2012
Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ENU 04940-004-0038003-02511
Windows Phone SDK 8.0 - ENU
NuGet Package Manager 2.7.40911.225
NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.
Xamarin.Android 4.10.01045 (100ec683)
Visual Studio plugin to enable development for Xamarin.Android.
Xamarin.iOS 1.8.269 (46afb4d7)
Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS
While the workaround seems to have worked, it is certainly not obvious. The installation should work correctly for non-Administrator accounts. It has worked from my normal developer account in the past.
Thanks Brian for taking the time to fill the bug and your detailed explanation. We are going to take note about this issue and I will fix as soon as possible.
BTW Brian, Could you attach the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\Log\MonoTouchVS\SDKUpdater.log file please?
In the "C:\Users\Crafter\AppData\Local\Xamarin\Log\MonoTouchVS" folder (where %LOCALAPPDATA% points), there are no files, only a "11.0" folder.
Are you sure about that filename? That file doesn't exist anywhere on my Windows PC:
C:\>dir /s /b SDKUpdater.log
File Not Found
D:\>dir /s /b SDKUpdater.log
File Not Found
I see a "XamarinStudio-4.0" folder that is a peer of the "Xamarin" folder above, but it doesn't have a file with that name either.
I don't know if it matters, but the Windows PC runs Windows 8.
The file should exist. Anyway, I just wanted to get more information about this issue. Never mind and thanks ,,,
Created attachment 5529 [details]
Requested SDKUpdate log
I see this all the time. In order to get around the issue I had to:
1. Grant my user admin privileges.
2. Disable UAC.
My normal user (jkolb) runs Visual Studio so when I was prompted for UAC in order to sync the SDK I had to use the admin user on my machine (jkolb-admin). This setup is mandated by my employer. After entering in the UAC prompt the sync hangs. If I make myself an admin (violated my employer's security policy) and use my own account (jkolb) for the UAC then it will work and I can sync the SDK.
We need to explore the alternative of placing the SDK assemblies somewhere else that doesn't require admin permissions.
If we can get the assemblies to a per-user location, then we would be solving this problem for good. It's worth a shot.
I think the issue is more of an API misuse. Getting prompted for UAC usually doesn't affect operations of programs if they use the APIs correctly. Maybe you need to run the synchronizer through the application compatibility tool or something.
Despite the alternative SDK sync process is under development, during the last release the current SDK has been improved. So this bug is now fixed and SDK is working on XVS 3.0.54. Hence closing it.