Bug 1380 - 2.8 RTM is Extremely Slow and Unusable
Summary: 2.8 RTM is Extremely Slow and Unusable
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Studio
Classification: Desktop
Component: iOS add-in ()
Version: 2.8
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: Low normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Alan McGovern
Depends on:
Reported: 2011-10-09 14:03 UTC by Anonymous
Modified: 2011-11-28 08:33 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description Anonymous 2011-10-09 14:03:08 UTC
The act of simply clicking (not double clicking) on files in solution explorer gives cause MD 2.8 RTM to go unresponsive for several seconds with no indication other than you cannot click on anything else.

This drag and delay makes MD 2.8 unusable as I cannot wait 5 seconds or more every time I want to open a new file or I just click on something which shouldn't even do anything in the solution explorer.
Comment 1 Anonymous 2011-10-09 15:07:01 UTC
This issue went away after restarting MD.  I attached the logs related to this to bug 1382 on another issue if you want to look at them.

MD 2.8 seems to be doing something after it converts a MT project that causes performance issues until you restart.
Comment 2 Mike Krüger 2011-10-25 02:29:02 UTC
 I assume it's the code completion db update.

@alan: You know more about the current MT project conversion - any idea what it could be ?
Comment 3 Alan McGovern 2011-10-25 05:52:03 UTC
I don't know what this could possibly have been. I tried to repro this issue a couple of times before but was unable to. Migrating projects is essentially changing <Page> to <InterfaceDefinition> and adding some keys to the Info.plist file. It should have zero impact on anything else.

If you can reliably reproduce this issue, then I would love access to your testcase. As it stands, the odds are it was code completion activating and doing a lot of background parsing. The reason why it doesn't happen anymore is because it completed and the data is now cached. That's my best guess.
Comment 4 Alan McGovern 2011-10-25 05:56:32 UTC
I also meant to say that i've put the bug in NeedInfo status because I'd like to know if there is a way to reliably reproduce this (something better than 1 in 5 times)
Comment 5 Alan McGovern 2011-11-28 08:33:29 UTC
It sounds like it was the code completion db updating. No-one has been able to repro this and I've did try a couple of combinations of migrations with and without old db files lying around. I'll close this bug for now as it could potentially have been fixed, there's just no way of verifying that without a way to reproduce the issue.