Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
I can reproduce with 1.3.222: http://screencast.com/t/GARmflN5j1w
iOS for VS 1.3.222
Can you attach the ActivityLog.xml file mentioned in the first screencast in comment 3?
It appears that the whole installation is broken:
<errorinfo>Could not load file or assembly 'Mono.VisualStudio.Extension2, Version=22.214.171.124, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1b9e6d771899610e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</errorinfo>
Can you try to repair the package from Control Panel? And if that doesn't help, remove all of the xamarin extensions from the system and reinstall from scratch.
Yeah I mean - when I get this error it's usually fixed by a complete re-install, but we need to figure out the reproduction steps.
Comment 3, 4, 5, and 6 are about https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7862
The issue of missing targets remains for me - I don't get the (oft unreproducible) 7862 issue.
Perhaps further discussion on the 7862 issue can resume in a new bug or with bug 7862 REOPENED?
PJ, I agree we need to get to the bottom of this but I'm worried, it being WIX, it will take us another 3 days just to test a possible solution or 2 (with the builds being slow, with having to wait for both MTVS and MFA to build) and we don't even know the actual repro steps yet.
The screenshots you attached show the problem but they tell me nothing that helps to fix them, alas. If you can repro it consistently, can you answer those questions:
- Was there any previous version of MTVS installed on the machine and, if yes,
- If there was a version, were the Shell assemblies and .targets files present
- Did Microsoft MSI Fixer detect any problems with both the previous and new
- Is the problem reproducible when upgrading from the latest MTVS release?
- Install the .msi using msiexec /i path-to.msi /lv path-to.log and attach the
I'm really worried that we won't have time to fix this before July 22nd... WIX development is inherently slow :(
Hello! I was just able to reproduce and have all sorts of information for you:
I just cleaned all iOS extensions off the machine, and ensured the extension and MSbuild folders were clear of all Xamarin stuff.
I installed iOS for VS 1.1.200 (stable)
I installed X.A 4.6.8 (stable)
Here are the MSBuild contents after the stable installation (note that the Xamarin/iOS folder exists, and has targets files): https://gist.github.com/pjbeaman/28a268e0592e7124f7cc
I installed 1.3.225 (RC). Here is the log (35k lines!): https://gist.github.com/pjbeaman/cb497bfd3b36cad164a6
At this point, I had a completed install, but no MSBuild\iOS folder. Here's the log of the same commands used after 1.1.200: https://gist.github.com/pjbeaman/a7751f5acea2dab1c094
No MSBuild\iOS folder, no targets file.
The Microsoft MSI Fixer says the symptom that would be alleviated by using the fixer is "Couldn't find local patch" in the log. There is no such line in the 35k line log.
I have saved a snapshot on the VM at the point where all these logs are on the desktop and the issue is reproducible. If further investigation on the machine would be helpful, I can get you access somehow.
A fix is in the works, but in the meantime I discovered a way to fix the installation. Simply go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features, select Xamarin.iOS and click Repair at the top of the window. That puts all the assemblies back where they should be.
These builds should fix the issue
Today, we have checked this issue with latest RC builds:
Windows 7 and 8
Now, user is able to create iOS application on VS successfully and not getting any error.
Hence, closing this issue and changing its status as Verified.