Bug 10899 - FtpWebRequest fails with non standart chars in path
Summary: FtpWebRequest fails with non standart chars in path
Alias: None
Product: Class Libraries
Classification: Mono
Component: System ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Linux
: --- normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Alexander Köplinger [MSFT]
Depends on:
Reported: 2013-03-05 05:16 UTC by Vladislav
Modified: 2017-02-17 20:11 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

sample programm (772 bytes, text/plain)
2013-03-05 05:16 UTC, Vladislav

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.

Please create a new report on GitHub or Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:

Description Vladislav 2013-03-05 05:16:14 UTC
Created attachment 3535 [details]
sample programm

The same code with FtpWebRequest returns different result when running on Windows 8 NET 4.5 and Ubuntu with mono x86.
And only if FTP path contains non latin chars

for instance: (valid path, exists on windows)

code sample is attached
Comment 1 Alexander Köplinger [MSFT] 2017-02-17 20:11:21 UTC
Hello and sorry for the very long delay in getting an answer.

I looked into this today and here's what I found:

I do see an "Server returned an error: 550 ????????Rowan - ?????????????? ???????????? ?????????????????? ???? ??????????????????.mp3: No such file or directory" exception when I run your sample on Mono master as of today on OSX.

FTP is a very old protocol and wasn't designed with non-English characters in mind (see  https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Character_Encoding).
There are extensions to make it work with UTF8, e.g. our implementation sets the `OPTS UTF-8 ON` flag, but the server responds with an error to that.

I then tried on my Windows 10 box with .NET 4.6 and I got a similar error: "The remote server returned an error: (550) File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)."

Since you're saying it worked on Windows with .NET for you, I wonder if this has something to do with the locale settings. I tried setting my Windows to ru-RU but that didn't change anything.

Please let me know if you're still seeing this on .NET, and how I might be able to reproduce it. I'm closing this as "not reproducible" for now. Thank you!