Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
The Monotouch.Dialog library included an ImageLoader class which asynchronously downloads images and updates the image once downloaded - along with keeping a cache. It would be amazing for a very useful utility like this to be included in the Xamarin Mobile library to work across all supported platforms.
Even if the new ImageLoader returns a byte and it's the developer's responsibility to turn it into the relevant image per platform. The byte can be cached for use later on, etc.
Thanks for this suggestion. The Mobile API is being deprecated in favor of various plugins (which have the equivalent/same API):
- Contacts: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xam.Plugin.Contacts
- Geolocator: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xam.Plugin.Geolocator
- Media: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xam.Plugin.Media
This plugin model has several advantages:
- Each plugin is independent, and can be updated as such
- It is no longer an all-or-nothing package
- Plugins can be mixed/replaced with other plugins that offer similar features
As a result of this new model, this feature exists in other libraries. My personal favourite is the FFImageLoading library:
- Source: https://github.com/luberda-molinet/FFImageLoading
- NuGet: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Xamarin.FFImageLoading.Forms
Thanks for using the Mobile API, and we hope that the new plugin model will enable you to produce even better mobile apps.